100% CPU Usage

Do you need IPv6 for Openfire or did you already disable it? It would help a lot to know whether IPv6 is also the cause for the issues you have.

I donā€™t know need IPv6 support right now.

Not much of a Java wiz, where/how exactly do you set -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true ?

Default location is /etc/sysconfig - openfire file. Inside this file i have uncommented line:

If you wish to set any specific options to pass to the JVM, you can

set them with the following variable.

OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

service openfire restart required.

Hrm. Probably should have mentioned that Iā€™m on OS X, so not gonna find that file there.

Iā€™ll poke around, but itā€™d be nice if it gets fixed in, oh say, 3.11.

For Debian-type systems (including Ubuntu), add it to the DAEMON_OPTS variable in /etc/default/openfire.

OS X doesnā€™t use /etc/default or /etc/sysconfig. You can try adding the flag to the java command line in /usr/local/openfire/bin/extra/openfire-launchd-wrapper.sh, like this:

/usr/bin/java -server -jar "$OPENFIRE_HOME/lib/startup.jar" -Dopenfire.lib.dir=/usr/local/openfire/lib *-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true* &

The tarball doesnā€™t add an initscript-- If you havenā€™t cobbled one together youself, you may try adding the command line option in ./openfire/bin/openfire

Adding OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"in /etc/sysconfig/openfire helped. CPU usage is back to normal. Thanks, FOI!

Yep, same issues here, actually my cpu was hitting 120%

The fix outline above worked perfectly, thank you tons!!!

I spoke to soon. This morning Java CPU usage is nearly 100% again.]

Just to confirm, this is what is in the /etc/sysconfig/openfire file

If you wish to set any specific options to pass to the JVM, you can

set them with the following variable.

#OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xmx1024m"

OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

Ryan,

Are you able to verify, via the command line that this flag is actually being set on the openfire process?

I havenā€™t, but I can. How do I check to verify?

The ā€˜ps axā€™ commandā€¦ and a really wide terminal window.

Looks like I am indeed passing that option in the config.

[root@im ~]# ps aux | grep openfire

root 8101 0.0 0.0 5132 672 pts/0 S+ 10:53 0:00 grep openfire

daemon 30564 377 11.5 1296912 478564 ? Sl Apr27 3113:34 /opt/openfire/jre/bin/java -server -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -DopenfireHome=/opt/openfire -Dopenfire.lib.dir=/opt/openfire/lib -classpath /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar -jar /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar

Iā€™m also seeing the above behavior. CPU usage reaches 100% after an hour or two. Openfire still responds as expected. Once CPU hits 200%, Openfire stops responding and the service must be restarted. This takes anywhere from 1 to 12 hours.

Iā€™ve added the IPv4 setting as shown here:

[root@community openfire]# ps -ef | grep java

daemon 7710 1 4 Apr27 ? 00:50:22 /opt/openfire/jre/bin/java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -server -DopenfireHome=/opt/openfire -Dopenfire.lib.dir=/opt/openfire/lib -classpath /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar -jar /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar

Attached are the relevant files.
warn.log.zip (2895 Bytes)
nohup.out.zip (7161 Bytes)
error.log.zip (7877 Bytes)

Hi, been posting in the other thread 3.10 200% CPU

What I have tried

set OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" to /etc/default/openfire

Updated to the latest linux-image-rpi2 (I am running a raspberry pi 2 in ubuntu)

restarted

Still get the 100% to 200% or more CPU usage after a period of time (it could be a few hours to a day)

I did not have this issue with openfire 3.9.3 with java 7

Hope this helps in solving this issue

6 days ok. Now is 100% again.

Yep, Iā€™m rescinding my earlier comment. I actually hit over 500%.

Switched back to 3.10 Beta of 3-24-2015ā€¦all is well again.

I also tried the ā€œjava.net.preferIPv4Stack=trueā€ fix. Before doing that, openfire would peg the CPU in a matter of 4-6 hours. After disabling IPv6, itā€™s more stable, but the behavior has returned after over a day of uptime.

Same issue here. Enabled the IPv4 fix, still breaks with Java CPU spiking.

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND

14751 daemon 18 0 1234m 538m 10m S 98.9 13.6 35:02.65 java

Here is our nohup.out after sudo kill -3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2586055/nohup.out

Phil - Where can I get that beta? Iā€™d love to try it. Weā€™ve actually had this issue since 3.9.3 so weā€™re stuck on OpenFire 3.8.2 for now.