2.6.0 production -- slow response -- what changed?

Nope. It doesn’‘t work. I don’‘t quite understand what’'s happening:

I’‘m using the ZIP download. I’‘ve uninstalled Wildfire as a service & stopped it. I rename my original directory (just in case) and unzip the new one. I’'ve tried:

1. Having the system reconfigure itself with the wizard

2. Copying the wildfire.xml file into the conf dir from my previous install.

The service will then fire up, but I can’'t log into the admin console. It keeps telling me my password is incorrect.

What did I miss?

Hey Pixel,

Which version of MySQL are you using? Can you post the content of table jiveVersion? Also post the structure of jiveUser and check the password for the admin user.

Regards,

– Gato

Hey Jeff,

I just made an optimization that will reduce your 3001 ldap queries to only 1. Since you have 3000 users in ldap and you are using (at least) a public shared group then the server was executing 1 query to load all usernames and 1 query to load each user. That makes a total of 3001 ldap queries for each user[/b] that logs in.

With the new optimization the server will just perform 1 ldap query since we are no longer loading the Users. That means that 1 ldap query will be executed for each user that logs in. Now make the math and see how fast it should work now.

I will send you a modified wildfire.jar file with this optimization. We can release Wildfire 2.6.1 next Monday with this super optimization.

Regards,

– Gato

Hm… so you’‘re saying that Wildfire 2.6.x and above will require MySQL 4.1.18 or above? That’‘s going to be a bit of a problem since I can’'t just upgrade the MySQL server on my server.

At least please make this very clear in the release notes, etc.

Thanks!

Gato,

Thanks. I appreciate you guy’'s hard work on this. So, you are now saying that instead of making a search of the entire LDAP, when Joe_User logs in it only loads cn=Joe_User,ou=users,o=company. That should REALLY speeds thing up. I will find the file you sent,remote in the morning, and attempt the patch. Will let you know how it goes by latest Sunday one thing, 2.6.1 will have the patching that you and have gone over today right and nothing else. I got in trouble this time because I wanted to be the whipping post I guess and be the first on my block with 2.6.0

Jeff

At least please make this very clear in the release

notes, etc.

Second that. We need CLEAR release notes. NOt just fixed, new, changed. But how to work with that new features, disable them if you dont need that, etc.

I’'m using MySQL 5.0.x. jiveVersion is: major: 2 minor: 5

I can see my admin account & password and they are what they should be.

I’'m not quite sure you are looking for fir jiveUser, but this is what I see:

username varchar(32)

password varchar(32)

name varchar(100)

email varchar(100)

creationdate char(15)

modificationdate char(15)

I’'ll glady post any additional info.

Hi Oleg,

we also need a list of the new bugs^^. It’'s not the first minor release with some heavy bugs. Other companies release a beta release for developers (and the ones who want to be a developer and the silly admins which want to suffer) some weeks before they do the official release.

The release notes are imho very clear, one can look at the changelog, the JIRA issues and the source code. Writing more documentation would kill the developers and we want this, don’'t we? Maybe we should start a Wifi Wiki.

LG

I just wanted to report a successful upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.6.0 using mysql 4.1.12 with no issues at all. After reading this thread I was scared to upgrade but decided to go ahead. It worked flawlessly. I only had to issue rpm -U and in few seconds it was done. Then I went through the wizard and the server was up and running afterward. My settings from the previous version were preserved too.

Thanks,

Kamel

The release notes are imho very clear, one can look

at the changelog, the JIRA issues and the source

code.

Ok. I know i should go to changelog and then to appropriate JIRA issue to read all comments and find the explanation. It’'s just this new feature (password encryption) seems to be important and there could be some basic explanation or a link to a JIRA in new version announcement.

UPD: btw, my production server upgrade was ok (2.5.0 > 2.6.0). It started up fine and i’'ve logged in successfully.

Isn’'t there supposed to be a 2.6.0a on the downloads area? I went in and d/l the 2.6.0 rpm, Seems to be the same messed up one from Friday. I have it ‘‘running’’ at present, however it is still performing very very slowly. There is no optimization for user login…

Can someone give me a hand on this, I have to start my writeup tomorrow, and well it isn;t easy to convince if the folks can’'t log in…

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Yesterday I sent you an email about this and I just replied your private message. In summary, the nightly build version includes 2 major optimizations:

1. Shared groups may load all the user base in memory many times JM-222

2. Do not keep in memory shared contacts whose subscription type is FROM JM-634

To install the nightly build version over Wildfire 2.6.0a you will need to copy new lib/wildfire.jar and plugins/admin over the existing ones. So make a back up first of those files/folders.

Last friday we modified installers of Wildfire 2.6.0 to include 2 fixes thus renaming it to Wildfire 2.6.0a:

1. Fix upgrade scripts of PostreSQL, SQLServer and Sybase JM-630

2. New user passwords are not being saved to the database JM-631

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

– Gato

Sorry I was confused. Sent you a mail on this.

Thanks,

Jeff

As a reply for anyone watching this thread. The optimizations are working well with Nightly 20060410. Speed is immensely quicker, login slowness has gotten much better. and the user search returns much faster.

Jeff