3.9.3 Install Issues

I just installed OpenFire 3.9.3 on a Windows 2008 Server R2 and I am having an issue logging in. Right after the install I was able to login but got an error(Sorry I do not remember and cannot replicate). Now when I login I just get bad username and password. Not sure I fi failed to setup Active Directory up correctly?? We have a Windows 2003 Domain Controller. We currently have OpenFire running on a Windows 2003 server, version 3.6.4. I mirroed the AD config from this server to the 3.9.3 server.

Is there any way to troubleshoot when you can not get into the admin page? Below is an error I see when I start OpenFire -

Database setup or configuration error: Please verify your database settings and check the logs/error.log file for detailed error messages.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@c69e02e3[file =C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:759)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:472)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:197)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.neEwIntsroranecrs (Unkontartingt w nhe server. lPSoureceas e)

check the log i feals fo rt org.jivesoftware.oepmore infronfiermatio…n

starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:113)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:58)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@c69e02e3[file =C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:151)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:749)

… 16 more

Server halted

Thanks

Hi Jim -

Based on the error mesasges it looks like your existing Openfire instance was still running when you attempted to start the new version. You should shut down the old instance before attempting to startup the new instance. Hope that helps - feel free to reply here if you need more information.

Tom

I did try that. Shutdown on the older server and then shutdown on the new server. I then started the instance on the new server ans still get the same errors. Thanks for your reply

Perhaps your old and new configurations are conflicting somewhat, trying to run both versions against a single DB. With a new setup we are going to try to encrypt the LDAP credentials to improve security. However in your case it might be better to skip this part of the setup.

You can check your new Openfire installation for a conf/security.xml file and try removing the ldap.* elements in the section, then restart the new server to see if that helps.

I did what you suggested and I still have the same issue. The DB in use error that I posted earlier I am still getting. The funny thing is in the older version on the old server I have always had that error but everything has always worked without issue.

Is there a way to get back in and configure the AD setting again without reinstalling?

Thanks

OK - then your issue might not be related to the LDAP config at all. Check out this post:

Perhaps you need to update/restore the XML configuration for authorized admin JIDs.

I have tried all of these. I do not see the <!–</ in my XML file.

Would starting with 3.9.2 be a good idea? I don’t seem to be getting anywhere with the latest verison. Is 3.9.2 still available for download?

Thanks

I uninstalled, reinstalled with the defaults, no AD configuration. During the install/config it asked me for a username and password. I entered one and I am still unable to log into the console/GUI.

I feel your pain!

I have figured out my issue. When I was copying and pasting the config from the old server to the new I was an extra ) at the end. Such as - (objectClass=group) (cn=Group*)). Once I removed the )) to ) all is now working. I now have a new issue. Users are able to login to the new server but the users that are logged in are not displayed in the list of users in Spark. I can search for them and find them but no luck seeing them in the list. Any thoughts? Thanks