A little help for a noob please. :)

Hi folks.

I’ve just installed Openfire for the first time. I’ve even got it running. YAY ME!

And then the rot sets in.

I own the domain name drsimon.co.nz. WildFire is installed on the server for that domain. I’ve given it the server name rabbit.drsimon.co.nz.

The router has ports shwon on the main admin console page open and pointing to the server.

From my desktop machine I can connect to Openfire on 192.168.1.1 (the server’s local address) with no problem at all but not if I try and connect using the rabbit.drsimon.co.nz name. And yes, I can ping that name.

So, what the have I got wrong?

Of course the problem could be that I’m connecting from the local network. So, just in case, if somebody wants to try and connect from outside the local network, there is a user called tester@rabbit.drsimon.co.nz with the password tester.

Thanks folks!

Simon.

I can’t connect to that account, also i can;t ping or telnet that host. Something must be wrong with a firewall or dns.

Now I’m really confused! I did a dig and got…

; <<>> DiG 9.7.1-P2 <<>> rabbit.drsimon.co.nz

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 32023

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;rabbit.drsimon.co.nz. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

rabbit.drsimon.co.nz. 3556 IN CNAME drsimon.co.nz.

drsimon.co.nz. 6001 IN A 222.154.250.78

;; Query time: 102 msec

;; SERVER: 122.56.237.1#53(122.56.237.1)

;; WHEN: Sat Apr 2 23:30:03 2011

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 68

I think I’ll give up on this. I can’t even get into the admin console now, I get a “Login failed: make sure your username and password are correct and that you’re an admin or moderator.” message and I know my username and password aree correct!

Whilst I greatly appreciate the work the developers have put into openfire, it doesn’t seem to work well for me. Such is life.