A new website for Wildfire and Spark

Hey all,

I wanted to start to share our plans with all of you for a new website for Wildfire and Spark. Why a new site?

• The difference between jivesoftware.org and jivesoftware.com has always been confusing. “Jive Software” means the company and a different URL is where the Spark and Wildfire communities should live. We don’‘t know what the new name is going to be yet, but we’'ve been playing with a bunch of ideas.

• We want to add more tools and content to the site. A wiki, blogs, more articles, etc. We also want to make it a lot easier for sub-communities to form. For example, places for translators or plugin developers to gather.

• Wildfire and Spark both have the goal of being the leading open protocol, Open Source alternative to proprietary EIM. That’'s going to require a kick-ass site and community.

We’'d love your help brainstorming ideas for the site. What other Open Source communities do you think do a great job? What tools should the site have? Any name ideas?

We’‘re starting some initial design ideas and will share them over the coming weeks. I’'m excited to see how this will turn out! Also, rest assured that the transition to the new site will only be made slowly and after we get tons of feedback from everyone.

Regards,

Matt

Interesting. Cant imagine the name for such site. Maybe www.jive-eim.org or like?

But what about Smack, XIFF and Asterisk? Or you are wishing to rename this site and add some new features? Not just Spark and Wildfire site?

Wiki would be great to share experience and make tutorials/manuals. Sub-communities, yes. But who will be able to create them? Maybe you will extend the administrating/moderating team involving active users?

BTW, favicon should be already changed according to a new design

But what about Smack, XIFF and Asterisk? Or you are wishing to rename this site and add some

new features? Not just Spark and Wildfire site?

It would include all the other projects for sure, I should have clarified.

Wiki would be great to share experience and make tutorials/manuals. Sub-communities, yes.

But who will be able to create them? Maybe you will extend the administrating/moderating team

involving active users?

I’'m not exactly sure what the moderator/admin rights will be, but the idea is certainly that they extend much more to the community. For example, we want a larger number of people to be able to post to the blog for each community.

-Matt

Most of the online communities that I am involved with have some mailing list set up. It makes it easy to work with, since we all live in our mail clients. So getting the email-thing working with the fourms would be huge for me.

Also, the ability to have an official place to submit bug reports, seperate from general discussion, would be great. Debian’'s bug tracking system is awesome, but even the generic bugzilla fullfills its needs. Can Jira handle anonymous or email submissions? Or maybe some initial bug report triage system.

Lastly, a Wiki will fill that knoledgebase gap we have right now. It seems too hard to get user contributed documentation out there, so I think the Wiki will make that much better. In addition to just documentation, having a repository for example wildfire.xml configs (and a description of the environment the work in) would be nice.

Oh- how about a community vote on a new name? If you have it narrowed down, maybe the community can make the deciding vote (or at least impact it).

slushpupie wrote:

Most of the online communities that I am involved with have some mailing list set up. It makes it easy to work with, since we all live in our mail clients. So getting the email-thing working with the fourms would be huge for me.

It should actually be working now, although it’'s not an advertised feature. You should be able to reply to any watch update by email now. Next up is a new watch email template to make the whole thing easier to use.

Also, the ability to have an official place to submit bug reports, seperate from general discussion, would be great. Debian’'s bug tracking system is awesome, but even the generic bugzilla fullfills its needs. Can Jira handle anonymous or email submissions? Or maybe some initial bug report triage system.

I’‘ve always been hesitant to open up JIRA more. It makes doing triage a much bigger effort and our small dev team just doesn’‘t have the bandwidth yet. Maybe it would be cool to have the ability to mark a forum thread as a bug report or feature request? That should at least make it easier to report and see the issues in the forums. I’'m open to other approaches if we could make JIRA work in an efficient way.

Lastly, a Wiki will fill that knoledgebase gap we have right now. It seems too hard to get user contributed documentation out there, so I think the Wiki will make that much better. In addition to just documentation, having a repository for example wildfire.xml configs (and a description of the environment the work in) would be nice.

Yep, the wiki should be up very soon!

Oh- how about a community vote on a new name? If you have it narrowed down, maybe the community can make the deciding vote (or at least impact it).

That’‘s a good idea… although I don’'t relish the idea of pre-buying all the domain name choices.

-Matt

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:22:20 -0500

wroot wrote:

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:22:20 -0500

This was a try to reply to a watch notify, but i didnt type anything

It should actually be working now, although it’'s not an advertised feature. You should be able to reply to any watch update by email now. Next up is a new watch email template to make the whole thing easier to use.

Just testing out the reply feature.

I’‘ve always been hesitant to open up JIRA more. It makes doing triage a much bigger effort and our small dev team just doesn’‘t have the bandwidth yet. Maybe it would be cool to have the ability to mark a forum thread as a bug report or feature request? That should at least make it easier to report and see the issues in the forums. I’'m open to other approaches if we could make JIRA work in an efficient way.

You could have a community based second layer of JIRA. If community

memebers performed the triage from communitity submitted bugs (marking

duplicates, etc) when they work their way to the top, you guys could

take those bugs an move them over to the “official” issue tracker. It

would be important to note the community bug tracker is no indication of

what Jive Software is working on, but does impact it to some degree.

Yep, the wiki should be up very soon!

Looking forward to it.

That’‘s a good idea… although I don’'t relish the idea of pre-buying all the domain name choices.

You wouldnt need to buy the domains- just list what you are thinking

about. Unless you are worried about someone (competitors?) going out

and buying the domiains when you list them.

Of course, Go Daddy has domains for $10/yr or less (except for .tv) so

its not a huge cost

Well, it works, but a few comments:

First, the html entities dont get rendered. Im getting a literal >

when I expect to see a > . Since the message body content-type is

text/plain, you should convert all that to just text. Or, set the

content-type as test/html. Personally, I hate html email, so I’'d go

with just making it plain text.

Second, is the funky string at the end of the subject a unique

identifier per user? Im just curious about the security side and how

hard it is for someone to pretend to be someone else.

Jay,

We’‘ve seen the html escaping issue too and it’'s on my radar to be fixed

soon.

Regards,

Bruce Ritchie

You could have a community based second layer of JIRA. If

community memebers performed the triage from communitity

submitted bugs (marking duplicates, etc) when they work their

way to the top, you guys could take those bugs an move them

over to the “official” issue tracker. It would be important

to note the community bug tracker is no indication of what

Jive Software is working on, but does impact it to some degree.

Ahh, nice idea. It’'s fairly easy to move issues over from one project to

another. We could even have a set of moderators that are allowed to do.

I’'ll definitely put this on the to-do list for the new site.

Thanks,

-Matt

I seems that one of the hallmarks of a good open source project is having a place where people can go who are looking for information on that particular project, and I think JS.org has done a really good job of being that place for Wildfire, Spark, Smack, etc. So, I think the idea of having ways in addition to the forums that would allow members to contribute to the community is a great idea.

As for names, I came up with a few fire related ones that I’‘ve listed below. I’‘m not sure if I’‘m crazy about any of them but maybe they’'ll help someone else come up with something really great:

• Kindling

• Combustion

• Blowtorch

• Bunsen Burner - this one is especially dorky but I kind of like it because in my mind it conjures up an image of a lab where great products/ideas come out of.