About shared roster groups

hello world…!!

I want to know something about functionality of shared groups,

In edit group page of admin console, I am setting following option in shared group roster section:-

Show group to members’’ rosters of these groups:

now the problem is Its not working as expected, what I want to achieve is to remove own group from shared roster groups, so that all the users of single group can not see each other.

Is this thing is currently supported by this shared groups ?? or should I have to implement it ??

Waiting for reply,

Thanking you,

Pranav Thakker

well, shared groups really doesnt work like this (just cheked), though i dont understand why you need to hide group members like that. Can you descrinbe your structure? Maybe there is another way?

devs> while testing this i’'ve noticed that after changing shared settings roster doesnt reloads immediatly. Ex: If you hide some group to other users it remains in roster until client restart (Exodus), but it works fine when adding groups, roster reloads immediatly.

hey wroot,

Thanks for reply.

I have also tested this, and did not get success so I have posted this thread.

Well, I need to develop a support system, in which customer can see all the support executives, but he can not see other customers, though both are in same group named Customer.

If you or anybody else have any idea then please let me know.

Thanks,

Pranav Thakker

hey all…

i think i found the problem.

Well, actually what happens is when RosterManager returns the shared group roster to the client, if the the group of the current user is not included in the shared group roster then it adds that group into shared group list at runtime!!!

If you just comment that specific statement then it works fine as per my requirement!!

Ok…

Thanking you all,

Pranav Thakker

Can you epand on your comment for how to fix this? I really need this functionality:

Members of group ‘‘agents’’ can see the ‘‘management’’ group and noone else.

Members of ‘‘management’’ can see the ‘‘agent’’ and ‘‘management’’ group.

I was surprised to find that everyone assigned to the ‘‘agents’’ group can see everyone else in the group. This isn’‘t at all what one would expect as the default, especially since there’‘s a specifc selection to "Show group in group members’’ rosters". This makes it seem that the default would be that members of a group don’‘t see each other, unless you explicitly coinfigure it so. I wish that were the case, but since it isn’'t, I need to find out how to accomplish what Pranav did…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I love Jive Messenger, by the way, I’‘m not meaning to slam it in any way. Still, showing all members of a group to each other by default is counter-intuitive when there’'s a setting to do that, and takes away a good bit of flexibility in group management.

Thanks,

Mark

Ah, looked through the source and found the section Pranav was talking about in RosterManager.java… now, I’‘ve never compiled Java source before, am I in over my head if I’'m hoping to comment out that little section and compile a new messenger.exe? Or is it as simple as a command-line from the top of the source tree?

hey beano,

u r right, i have commented a single statement in RosterManager.java, but if user adds a member of restricted group explicitly in his roster, then this won’'t work.

And for making exe, messenger source code comes with Ant build file, u can run it from command line to create binary from the source code.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Pranav Thakker

Ah, I built from source and got exactly the functionality I wanted from commenting out that single line… Thank you, Pranav!

The users I have in the restricted group will be running Pandion as their client, and I’‘ve gone through the Pandion files and stripped all context menus, file menus, etc…, so they have no way to add a new contact, they can only see the Management group that I’‘ve configured for them. It’‘s working great for our beta-test so far, we’‘ll see how it holds up. Their access to their machines is so locked-down and limited that I don’'t anticipate issues (knock on wood).

One question, though… building from source didn’‘t give me the nice GUI “messenger.exe”, I just have a messenger.bat/.sh to run the server in a console window now. Is there some command-line option for the build that I missed that would have given me an exectuable? I’'m very unfamiliar with Ant and with building Java apps from source in general…

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark,

Glad to hear you got the issue resolved. We’‘ll definitely consider adding this as an official feature for Jive Messenger 2.2.0. BTW, I’'m not entirely clear on what your use-case is, but have you looked at Jive Live Assistant? It has a lot of features around routing between workgroups so you can control how people are allowed to access support personnel, for example.

On building the messenger.exe – unfortunately, you have to have a copy of Install4j (a commercial product) in order to do that. If you do have Install4j, the “ant installer” target will build the exe. Another option would be to replace lib/messenger.jar file (in a 2.1.3 install) with the new one that you compiled. That should work in this case.

Regards,

Matt

We’'re looking at using Jive Messenger in the following way:

We’‘re a call center environment. We want agents to be able to message their supervisors, but nobody else (we definitely don’'t want agents to message each other). We want supervisors to be able to message their reps, and also higher management, and finally, higher management can message everyone. So after changing RosterManager.java, now the Agents groups sees only Supervisors, and Supervisors and Management can see all groups.

I’‘ll look at Live Assistant, it sounds like an intersting plugin. If a future version of Messenger supports something like what we’'re doing here, that will be great. : )

Decided to post in this thread instead of creating new:) Now, when i have to arrange real IM network some problems appeared. This is about group isolating too.

Example:

We have:

group1

group2

group3

etc.

Now we have to do that way:

group1 doesnt see anyone just members of group1

all other groups can see all groups

So, now you must go through every group’‘s properties and set "Show group to members’’ rosters of these groups:" selecting all groups except group1. If you have 100 groups, you must do it 100 times instead of isolating group with some one button in this group properties. So, this is a suggestion;) Or maybe i’‘m missing some other way of doing this?? Well, we have only 10 groups now, so it’'s not so hard for me to do:)

Other question. When some users dont see other groups they can still receive messages and then add this contact to roster. As i recall someone (maybe Matt) was talking about such heavy isolating feature when groups will not be able to send/receive messages one from another. Good feature could be:)

And finally the last one. As i said, now isolated users can add other users to their rosters if they receive messages from outside. I know this is up to client. Someone said that pandion can be stripped to minimal messaging functionality (i mean removing some buttons, functions). Havent tried Pandion yet:) Is this hard to do? I have to edit some config files?

wroot -

I had posted about stripping Pandion, and it’'s really pretty easy. I found a post for removing the File Menu from the main tray, and needing to strip things down much more than that, I just started poking around the other files and disabling all of the right-click menu items, the File Menu in chat windows, etc…

====================================

KILL MAIN APP MENUBAR:

In %pandion dir%\src\main\MenuBar.js, comment out these 4 lines:

external.wnd.menuBar.AddItem( external.globals( ‘‘Translator’’ ).Translate( ‘‘main’’, ‘‘menu_file’’ ), 0, 1, file );

external.wnd.menuBar.AddItem( external.globals( ‘‘Translator’’ ).Translate( ‘‘main’’, ‘‘menu_axn’’ ), 1, 2, actions );

external.wnd.menuBar.AddItem( external.globals( ‘‘Translator’’ ).Translate( ‘‘main’’, ‘‘menu_tool’’ ), 2, 3, tools );

external.wnd.menuBar.AddItem( external.globals( ‘‘Translator’’ ).Translate( ‘‘main’’, ‘‘menu_help’’ ), 3, 4, help );

=====================================

KILL MOUSE RIGHT-CLICK MENUS:

In %pandion dir%\src\main\mousemenu.js, comment out any ‘‘menu.AddItem’’ and/or ‘‘submenu.AddItem’’ stuff you don’'t want.

Everything I’‘ve had to edit so far has been within the ‘’\src\main’’ folder, except for removing the File Menu from Chat containers, where you edit ‘’\src\chat-container.html’’.

By the time you’‘ve editted one or two of these files, then killed and restarted Pandion to check the results, you’'ll see pretty easily how to determine what you want to get rid of, then you can poke around in the files and find the stuff to lose.

Finally, I made myself these two notes for forcing specific settings onto all new users and keeping some main settings from being changed:

=====================

Set ‘‘global.xml’’ under %userprofile%\application data as read only after editing it.

Fix up a ‘‘settings.xml’’ from a profile how you want it, then copy it to Pandion’'s program settings folder as ‘‘default.xml’’ so it becomes global defaults.

=====================

Of course, ‘‘read-only’’ settings are only as good as your machine’'s security policies, but on a fairly locked down machine, the above will make Pandion a pretty well locked down IM client.

HTH,

Mark

Thanx, beano:) A lot of information.

Well… I have tried Pandion today, played a little. Dont like it much. I understand that it could be highly customizable. But i dont have time to play with it now and there is too little options to change in default installation. For now we’‘ll try to use Exodus, and if we need to have more control over users maybe i’'ll get back to Pandion someday:)

I will note your post. Thanx again;)

I’'ve recently downloaded Jive and installed it, it all works great, except for the problem described above.

In my situation we have 2 user groups.

Staff - This group is visible to all users all the time.

Users - This group is only visible to staff, but members of this group can add other members of the group and then see their status.

I’‘ve seen the comments above about how to stop the group from being sent at login, but I’‘m at a complete loss as to how to do it (when it comes to java I’‘ve never touched it before). If someone is willing to help with with step-by-step instructions for this it’'s be great.

BTW, I’'m running Jive on a RH Linux box with a MySQL database

maybe JM-349 will fit your needs? Vote for it

Staff - This group is visible to all users all the

time.

Users - This group is only visible to staff, but

members of this group can add other members of the

group and then see their status.

can you give more specific example on this. Now i dont quite understand what you want to do. Give an example with users, like User1, User2 etc. I mean more realistic example

I am having trouble using Ant to build the class file. Do you recall how to do this? Or can I use another compiler like the one that comes with j2sdk1.4.2_09 (javac.exe)?

I actually tried it, but it says that the syntax is incorrect on a few lines that were NOT edited. Any ideas???

AZinNC,jive’'s compiler is J2SE1.5,you try it is right.