Access Modifiers in XMPPTCPConnection

In the Smack 4.0.x I could change the method proceedTLSReceived and access the method notifyConnectionError in the XMPPTCPConnection class by inheritance.

Now, in the Smack 4.1 it became private and I don’t have access to it anymore (unless I change the Smack code).

So I’d like to ask if these things could be protected in the XMPPTCPConnection:

• protected Socket socket;
  • protected boolean usingTLS = false;
  • protected void proceedTLSReceived() throws …
  • protected synchronized void notifyConnectionError(Exception e)

In this way, the class become more fexible for very specific implementations.

I need first more background. Why do you need access to those?

The first three changes were requested because I did some personal modifications in the TLS setup so that I have to override the proceedTLSReceived method and use the socket to wrap my input/output streams. In the end I set the usingTLS = true. I do that extending the XMPPTCPConnection class.

The notifyConnectionError I use in my custom PingFailedListener:

public class ReconnectPingFailedListener implements PingFailedListener {

** private XMPPConnection connection;**

** public ReconnectPingFailedListener(XMPPConnection connection) {**

** this.connection = connection;**

** }**

** @Override**

** public void pingFailed() {**

** if (connection instanceof XMPPTCPConnection) {**

** ((XMPPTCPConnection) connection).notifyConnectionError(new Exception(“Ping Failed!”));**

** }**

** }**

}

I know that is very custom changes, but privating these attributes/methods is too restrictive.

personal modifications in the TLS setup
What are those modifications?

Why don’t you just install a ping failed listener and shut down the connection when it’s called?

Since the android doesn’t support some elliptic curves, I’m using the BouncyCastle to do the work. But this is not general. It’s very specific for my project.

Why don’t you just install a ping failed listener and shut down the connection when it’s called?

If I shutdown the connection, the ReconnectionManager will not try to reconnect again (the done flag will be true).

Since the android doesn’t support some elliptic curves, I’m using the BouncyCastle to do the work. But this is not general. It’s very specific for my project.

Can’t you use a custom SSLContext to use BouncyCastle for TLS?

If I shutdown the connection, the ReconnectionManager will not try to reconnect again (the done flag will be true).

I usually don’t recommend using the ReconnectionManager on Android, as you will also need to add some further reconnection logic on a mobile device. But even if you want to use it, why not simply reconnect after the instantShutdown/disconnect in the ping failed listener?

Can’t you use a custom SSLContext to use BouncyCastle for TLS?

Actually no, because the BouncyCastle TLS API is not compatible with JSSE.

I usually don’t recommend using the ReconnectionManager on Android, as you will also need to add some further reconnection logic on a mobile device. But even if you want to use it, why not simply reconnect after the instantShutdown/disconnect in the ping failed listener?

In my case the ReconnectionManager is working nicely. I tried to disconnect and connect in the ping failed listener, but it happened that sometimes (due to bad 3G signal) the connection establishment times out and it throws a ConnectionException. I could add a loop to try another connection establishment after some seconds, but in this way, I’m reimplementing the ReconnectionManager logic.

Actually no, because the BouncyCastle TLS API is not compatible with JSSE.
Are you sure about that?

I’m interested in the code that does TLS with bouncycastle. Would you mind posting it here (or in a pastebin if appropriate).

I’m sure. The API is specific of BC.

[Java] private TlsClientProtocol tlsClientProtocol; private DefaultTlsClient t - Pastebin.com