powered by Jive Software

Adding Administrator after install

I have installed Openfire 332 after using Wildfire 324. I am using LDAP for users. The upgrade didn’t work so I just did a fresh install. This is working well except for one small problem. Some of the users that I set as administrator in the original install were left out in the reinstall when it asked for adminstrators. How does one give a user administrator rights to the Openfire Admin Console after an install?

i think the only way is to edit conf/openfire.xml

or

uncomment and edit.

You will have to stop server to do this.

That was correct-I was able to add multiple users to the allowed admin list.

Thank you

I am attempting to do the same thing - ie adding another administrator in the openfire.xml. However, when I try this and Save the XML file, and then I head back to server:9090, it treats things like it’s a fresh install and asks me for my default language, etc!

When I go back and restore a copy of the original openfire.xml, it brings up the login prompt as usual and all my settings are restored.

So… how can I add another administrator without refilling in all the information and basically re-running the web based Openfire setup?!?

Where x, y, z, jblow and a are is where I put the names of the user from the ldap.

It didn’t ask me to change anything, although it did require a restart of the service.

<!-- <authorizedJIDs></authorizedJIDs> -->

<authorizedUsernames>xxxxx, yyyyyy, jblow, zzzzz, aaaaa</authorizedUsernames>

</admin>

<locale>en</locale>

I can see if the locale were accidentally changed how it might ask for a reconfig of that. Other than that I didn’t have to reinstall. It is worth noting that I didn’t do an upgrade but rather a fresh install.

Yeah, that’s exactly where I added my new entry. I didn’t alter anything else in the text file, I just put a comma after the last name in the list and added the word Administrator. Then poof, after saving the xml file and restarting the server, it treated things like it was a brand new fresh install of Openfire.

Aggravating…!

Hi,

you may have saved openfire.xml with UTF-8 encoding and this could cause trouble, especially if some of the names contain non-ASCII characters. If you are using Windows then Windows may add a BOM-Header to the UTF-8 file which also causes trouble.

So if you are using Windows make sure to save the file using the local encoding and not as UTF-8.

LG

PS: JM-1101 is the open issue which describes this more or less known problem.

That was exactly it. I was editing the XML file with Editpad, which was doing something with the encoding when I saved it. When I opened the XML file in plain old Notepad, it looked terrible on my screen but I was able to find the location in the file and add what I needed. After I saved it and restarted the server I was able to login is the person I just added.

So I’m all set, thanks for the help!

I found this thread and it describes exactly what I need to do. However, I stopped the Openfire service, edited openfire.xml, restarted Openfire service, and it still didn’t allow the new admin to log in. So I undid the changes I made in openfire.xml but now even the original admin can’t log into the admin console. Now I’m really stuck without a way to get into the console :-S

You can rerun the initial setup (database should stay intact). Change the last tag true to false, then you will be able to set admin password. I think this should bring back the ability to login.

When I opened the XML file in plain old Notepad, it looked terrible on my screen but I was able to find the location in the file and add what I needed. I didn’t alter anything else in the text file, I just put a comma after the last name in the list and added the word Administrator.

Regards,
Zayn.