Adding prestablished groups from the server (cant seem to get them to popul

adding prestablished groups from the server (cant seem to get them to populate)

like if we create a group on the server call Admins and show it only to the members of that group thus enabling the sharing it in the roster. Why if I as a person from another team adds the group Admins it does not populate with the members associated to that group…

Ideas suggestions… seems like its a personal group nothing to do with the server side group

we do not want to give all groups to all people as it gets pretty cluttered pretty fast with all the team we have in our company

Hi,

it is indeed a personal group aka roster which has no connection to the server group. Do you have employees which work in 10 different project teams or why do you want to do such things? In my opinion such a feature should never be implemented because it does not respect privacy. Closed server groups should be kept private.

With Spark 1.2 the xmpp:user@jabber.domain links should work, so one can use a web based frontend to LDAP, AD, SAP or Oracle to create connections using a link. Nearly all companies already have such a frontend to search for users, rooms, phone numbers, …, so the integration of an additional xmpp value should be painless. I prefer such an approach much more.

LG

In response to

Do you have employees which work in 10 different project teams or why do you want to do such things? In my opinion such a feature should never be implemented because it does not respect privacy. Closed server groups should be kept private.

We have dozens of teams that I work with directly. If you dont want to use it dont but you dont think others might want an option to advertize a autopopulating group or not? You can make it granular down to the individual group level or have a global setting. Or a global setting and a overide feature on the individual groups (my vote is for my final suggestion).

like if we create a group on the server call Admins

and show it only to the members of that group thus

enabling the sharing it in the roster. Why if I as a

person from another team adds the group Admins it

does not populate with the members associated to that

group…

because this will violate current functionality of Shared Groups.

If you select Share it ONLY to the members of this group, then it’‘s logical that it doesnt populate members of this group to other groups’’ members.

What is now happening, when you create group Admins in your client, this is just a local group in your client’'s roster, not the same prestablished server group. Only names are matching.

What can you do, is to ask developers to implement this feature. This is a server side feature. Let’'s call it “Allow for a manual sharing” in Create Group page. Maybe even more options like

Allow for a manual sharing:

— In all users’’ rosters.

— In group members’’ rosters

— In members’’ rosters of these groups: (and select box with group list)

P.S. Allow for manual sharing it’‘s the name i just came up with. It could be named as “Allow for manual adding/populating/etc.”. It means, that a user can add some predefined server group (of course user must be informed this group exists) manually and all group’'s contacts will autopopulate.

Exactly and if they could search for such groups as they do for users it would simplify things with the find command.

I vote for this option anyone else?

There is no such issue in JIRA, AFAIK. So you can wait, you can up this thread, maybe even PM some of devs (but dont bother them too much ), you can join Group Live Chat, which takes place every Wednesday, and speak about this.

As i think about this. I see one problem, is that client wount be able to create local group with such name. Or e.g. some user already has local Admins group, and then you put it in a list of Allowed for manual sharing. What will happen with this group then?

Who cares… prompt a warning or merge them… insignificant issue in my opinion.

How do i get on Live chat on wednesdays?

There is an announcement thread on top of Wildfire Support forum:

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/ann.jspa?annID=1