powered by Jive Software

Admin Login problem JM 1.0.5

Hi,

I’'ve installed JM 1.0.5(TAR Ball Version) on RH7.3, Tomcat 4.1.x, Postgres 7.1.x. After I finish the setup and click the button to login into the admin tool I get the following error:

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:254)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFil terChain.java:247)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain .java:193)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java: 256)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:643)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java: 191)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:643)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2415)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.jav a:171)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:641)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:641)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:17 4)

at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnecti on(Http11Protocol.java:392)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:6 19)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:57)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:210)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFil terChain.java:247)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain .java:193)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java: 256)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java: 191)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.jav a:171)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:17 4)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnecti on(Http11Protocol.java:392)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:6 19)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

Is that the entirety of the stack trace? I ask because I don’‘t see any JM specific stuff in there. Does this happen each time you hit the admin login page or just after setup completes? We believe the issue might be that there’‘s too fast of a redirect to the admin page after setup completes - we’'re planning on adding a delay so the server can restart properly.

Regards,

–Bill

It is interesting because the server is essentially restarting during this period. We only saw the problem on my overloaded powerbook where the restart was slow. Tomcat or something else may be causing a longer delay in your situation which would make a delay in the startup redirect a critical fix for next release…

-iain

Bill,

That’'s the entirety of the message that dumps to my screen after I click on the login into the admin tool button. It also happens with the same error message when I try and login from the login.jsp page for the admin tool. Is there anyway for me to work around this? Or should I just add users via psql and the db?? Granted I know this probably defeats the purpose of the Admin tool.

Thanks again,

Rob Hayashida

Have you checked your error logs (JIVE_HOME/logs/jive.error.log)? Also, are you seeing the initial login screen with the username and password boxes and then pressing the login button and getting the exception, or is the login screen itself not coming up?

-iain

Iain,

from the setup finished page when you click on the button to bring up the login screen for the admin tool I get the above mentioned error. When I go directly to the page localhost:8080/jm/login.jsp the login page comes up. Then when I submit the username and password I also get the same error.

The jive.error logs provided this when I ran setup again

2003.07.03 21:01 com.jivesoftware.cache.DefaultConnectionProvider.destroy(DefaultConnectionProvid er.java:110)

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 5

at com.jivesoftware.cache.ConnectionPool.destroy(ConnectionPool.java:197)

at com.jivesoftware.cache.DefaultConnectionProvider.destroy(DefaultConnectionProvi der.java:108)

at com.jivesoftware.cache.DbConnectionManager.setConnectionProvider(DbConnectionMa nager.java:241)

at org.apache.jsp.setup_0002ddatasource_0002dstandard_jsp._jspService(setup_0002dd atasource_0002dstandard_jsp.java:284)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:210)

Thanks again,

Rob Hayashida

Interesting. The problem appears to be in the database connection setup. I’'ve pinged the developer in charge of that code and hopefully will have an answer soon (although being the 4th… maybe not immediately).

-iain