powered by Jive Software

After a crash

Sometimes when the host server crashes for some reason taking down the VM w/ Openfire in it.

Spark fails to connect, saying the user has wrong credentials.

Logging into the Openfire server everything looks great.

But there is a disconnect someplace between the user, and the AD server…

If i reinstall… this fixes the issue. This will be the third time i have done this though. -i would like to figure out why

any ideas?

this happened again today. Logged into the server, Openfire crashes. Now when i try to log in via spark, Invalid username or password.

any help would be great

makes no sense… i can log into OpenFire console w/ the username that should be working via spark. But this UN does not authenticate via spark anymore. What could be stuck here?

Same here, I’m with 54 users without connection and I’m going crazy. My problems started after reboot server machine, the certificades gonne and now nobody can connect via any client.

Can you all post the type of server and how it is configured.

Mine is Openfire 3.6.4 running on a openSUSE 11.1 64bits box java-1_6_0-openjdk-1.6_b16-0.1.3

On last sunday I made a security update on Java SDK and after restart Openfire my certificades (localy signed) gone. After various tries I decided reinstall Openfire. Uninstall Openfire RPM package, Dropped database, remove /usr/share/openfire and /etc/sysconfig/openfire and install Openfire again, but keep getting the same error when I try do login via Spark - “Invalid username or password”.

Sorry my English, some more informations you need?

hrm… happens w/ linux as host eh. great, im installing OF on a CentOS box now. This issue happened yet again Friday after the Server rebooted.

We are running a Server 2008 VM, from within a Server 2008 box. This machine authenticates against another Small Business 2008 server Active Directory.

When the virtual machine, or perhaps the server that is hosting it goes down, it will come back online with this issue almost 100% of the time. If it cleanly shuts down, then it will come back online correctly.

When it happens this week, i will see what logs i can come up with. Right now it is just faster for me to uninstall OF, wipe registry, reinstall and move onto something else. -i am really hoping that my linux box here will remedy the issue.

sounds to me like a permissions issue. are you sure the settings are commited to teh database correctly? is the openfire server named with a FQDN (e.x. chatserver.domain.com)? does that server have a valid DNS entry? Is the server settings written to the database? Are you using an external DB?

sixthring wrote:

sounds to me like a permissions issue. are you sure the settings are commited to teh database correctly? is the openfire server named with a FQDN (e.x. chatserver.domain.com)? does that server have a valid DNS entry? Is the server settings written to the database? Are you using an external DB?

All of this are right and exactly the same as in previous week. Only two things happened:

1- Updated Java on sunday.

2- Restarted OF server for the first time since its installation.

In my case no we are not using a external database. -getting away from the embedded seems like a good idea

Yes it does seem a permissions issue… the alert box told me this much.

As to where the issue really is, or what gets corrupted if the server should fail. -idk yet

All the other settings are solid.

On my openSUSE box when I type # echo $JAVA_HOME it show me **/usr/lib64/jvm/jre
**

but I have another directory called /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-sun with more contents than /jre only.

Then I edited /etc/sysconfig/openfire and set the line:

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-sun

Now my internal and external users can login and chat without any problems. I think that the last Java update mess with something that I don’t know. Also I’m running Openfire with the root account (OPENFIRE_USER=“root”) because with ‘daemon’ the log show me various permissions errors.