All@broadcast.serverfoo.domainfoo.edu Why? Can I at least disable it?

Why does this exist? I don’‘t like the idea of users being able to broadcast whatever ‘‘wisdom’’ is on their mind to each and every user that’'s currently logged on. Can I turn this off somehow?

Thanks!

• Kodiak

Hey Kodiak,

You have two choices here. If you don’'t need the broadcast plugin then you can just remove it. But if you need it and you just want to limit users that can send a broadcast to all users then, as specified in the readme, you can use the system property plugin.broadcast.allowedUsers to control users that can broadcast to all users. Restart the server after setting this property.

Regards,

– Gato

ksf@sei wrote:

Why does this exist?

I can think of at least one reason:

Allowing a limited group of users to broadcast administrative messages.

I don’‘t like the idea of users being able to broadcast whatever ‘‘wisdom’’ is on their mind to each and every user that’'s currently logged on. Can I turn this off somehow?

Thanks!

• Kodiak

From the broadcast-plugin’'s help page:

"The broadcast plugin is configured via Wildfire system properties. These can be configured under Server/Server Manager/System Properties:

• plugin.broadcast.serviceName – the name of the broadcast service. If no value is set, the default is “broadcast”.

• plugin.broadcast.disableGroupPermissions – true to allow any user to broadcast a message to a group. When false, only group members or administrators can broadcast messages to a group. The default value is false.

• plugin.broadcast.groupMembersAllowed – true to also allow group members to send broadcast messages to groups they belong to. When false, only administrators can send broadcast messages to a group. The default value is true. Note that the property value of plugin.broadcast.disableGroupPermissions can effectively override this value by letting anyone send broadcast messages to groups.

• plugin.broadcast.allowedUsers – the comma-delimitted list of users allowed to broadcast messages to all connected users at once. When this property isn’'t set, anyone is allowed to broadcast messages to all users."

Considering this, a sensible setting would be:

plugin.broadcast.groupMembersAllowed = false

plugin.broadcast.allowedUsers = some,trusted,admins

Or, if you don’'t like it at all, just disable the broadcast plugin.

Ciao

-Fritz

Ah, thanks! I didn’'t realize this was from the broadcast program! Thanks for the info!