All users can reply to messagages from user-message.jsp (admin interface)

The subject states the situation, which may be a problem. I’‘d prefer that non-admin users could not broadcast messages to the entire jabber domain, but they’'re able to do so by replying to messages that are send by the admin. Is there a way to restrict that access?

Hey Gordon,

There different ways to broadcast messages. If you are using Spark then you can control this feature from the admin console if you are using Wildfire enterprise. If you are using the broadcast plugin then there is a setting that you can use to limit users that can broadcast messages.

Regards,

– Gato

I don’'t have the broadcast plugin installed, currently. If I install that, will I be able to filter the existing broadcast mechanism?

Hey Gordon,

If users are just sending a message to each target user then it is a “manual broadcast”. For that the only solution would be to create a new plugin with a packet interceptor that will figure out based on message content and rate of messages when a broadcast is taking place and reject messages accordingly.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gordon,

Out of curiosity, what version of Wildfire and what client are you using?

Thanks,

Ryan

That’‘s not what’‘s happening, nor a concern. What I’‘ve seen is that when I send a broadcast message using Wildfire’‘s built-in mechanism (not the broadcast plug-in), users can reply to the message that’‘s sent, and their reply also gets broadcast to all users. I’'d like to limit that if possible.

I’'m using Wildfire 3.1.1, and various clients (Gajim, Adium, Gaim, Spark, Pandion…)

Hi Gordon,

I understand what you’‘re saying but I’‘ve been unable to reproduce the issue with Adium, Spark and PSI (all on my Mac, I’'ll try a Windows box in the morning).

Are you using Wildfire’‘s Shared Group feature? Is there anything else you can tell us about your installation that you’'ve configured since you originally setup Wildfire?

Thanks,

Ryan

I cant confirm such behaviour either. I’'m using Send MEssage often. And only server (redirected to my account) gets replies to such messages. Wildfire 3.1.1 + Exodus 0.9.1.0 But maybe this can happen when no account is specified to get messages sent to the server. Cant check this right now. Maybe later and with more clients.

Hey Wroot,

Thanks for looking into this.

I didn’‘t have any luck this morning reproducing the problem with a couple of Windows clients so I think it might be something specific to Gordon’'s installation.

Cheers,

Ryan

It looks like I was wrong about the situation. When one of my users replied to the broadcast message, both my coworker and I saw his reply. I assumed that everyone else, did, too. Perhaps the replies go to the listed admin users? Is that where they’'re normally routed?

Well. I have xmpp.forward.admins system property set with value admin@server But even if i delete that property admin is still getting the replies to Send Message broadcasts. Not sure if this is an intended behaviour.

gmessmer, have you specified your and your coworker’'s accounts in wildfire.conf as authorised users?

Yes, my account and my coworker’‘s are named in “authorizedUsernames” in wildfire.conf. I don’'t have the property xmpp.forward.admins set. BTW: where is this property documented?

Just checked and yes, Wildfire is sending replies to Send Message broadcast to those contacts that have access to Admin Console (cause only those who has access can send a message, so probably only them should get an answer). There are no role based administration system in Wildfire still (though it was discussed a lot in Live Chats) and so there are no difference which of the authorised users is logged in and sending the message. The system treats them as a one object and forwards reply to all of them. At our company we have a similar problem because of that. There are two of us who has access and can send messages. And we are both getting replies. Would be great if system can determine who was sending the message and forward the reply only to him.

That was about part of config.

xmpp.forward.admins is a bit different. It could be useful if you dont want to give an access to Admin Console, but want someone to get replies (or messages) send to the server. Well, as we have only admin enabled to access AC and i have my personal username, so i have set that property to forward such messages to me and my coworker. And this property can be changed without restarting the server. I dont remember any documentation about this, just found it in the forums some time ago. You have to add that property and the value would be: username@server,username2@server,…

After thinking a while i think it is still better to use Broadcast plugin for such tasks. Just send a message to all@broadcast.server (the default value) and only you would get the answer to that message.