Allowing Users to Join Shared Groups

Hi,

I have put several posts on the Openfire area to no avail and it looks like I will have to customize Spark or create a web page to get around this. I am consulting for a small company where users may sit in one of many different sets of cubes. Each set of cubes will be a shared group. When a user sits down in a particular area of cubes, I want them to “check in” by moving themeselves to that shared group and be able to receive broadcasts to that shared group. However, I don’t want to give them access to the admin pages.

At this point in time, the only way to move a user to a shared group is for the admin to do it. It is very cumbersome because there is no browse funtioncality. The admin has to look at the user summary page then flip back and manually enter that person into that group. Not going to happen.

Is there another client that allows this or is my best bet to make an public (internal users only) web page they could all access and add themselves to a group that way. The best solution I can think of is to have a dropdown list on Spark and select the shared group to join. Is this possible in Spark or more so in XMPP?

Any information is helpful…

Thanks,

Karl

Your previous posts didnt get much attention (though they were viewed), because your task is complex one. And, personally, i think this could be hard to achieve with Spark. Though, i’m not a coder. I doubt about the authentication. Spark user would have to have rights to modify shared group list. And only admin can do that. Well, maybe not only admin, but it looks to me.

Maybe you can use User Service plugin, or Coolcat’s Helga bot http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1080

It has a command “group join”, which may be what you need.

Hello AND THANK YOU!!!

I’ll have to read more about it, but I think that will do the trick. I’m going to install on my test platform and see how it works. We are using the built in database and I read that it must be mysql so I may have to change that but shouldn’t be too big of an issue.

Thanks again!

Karl