Any clue what I am missing for two users to message each other?

Ok, I must be missing SOMETHING easy and stupid

(* NEW NOTE - I think it has something to do with the user directory - am investigating!!! Will have to check the docs so I set up my clients correctly so they can find where the users are, OY! Knew it was stupid. Tried doing search-for-and-add users from each client and searching was misleading me. It’'s really not finding anyone from either client. *)

I am using a GAIM windows client with a user named TEST1 (that I set up on the Jive windows server user admin page).

I am using a MIRANDA windows client (from the same machine as first) with a user named TEST2 (that I set up on the Jive windows server user admin page).

I connect from my client machine with Gaim as TEST1, Miranda as TEST2. Both Connect. If I go to the server and use the admin web interface I can see both are authenticated and Presence: ONLINE shows in the Session Manager tab.

Now, I try to send authorization requests from TEST1 to TEST2 and vice version but neither is getting the message.

From TEST1 it shows TEST2 as offline. From TEST2 it shows TEST1 as offline.

I can send messages fine from the admin interface to each user session.

The machine is Windows 2003. It has a DNS name. It also has 2 NICs and therefore 2 IPs. I am using the DNS name in my configuration instead of either IP.

What other information can I provide or what doc am I missing that shows how ignorant I am?

P.S. Anonymous is OFF.

Thanx!

Message was edited by: wimnms

Michael,

Could you post the XMLs that each client is sending and receiving from the server?

From your description of the problem it seems that the presence subscription is not being delivered to the other user. Is that correct?

Thanks,

– Gato

Wish I knew how to do that from Miranda and Gaim heh… I will have to dig for how to have them spout out the sent XML

Actually, it would be quite helpful if I could find documentation on

server name vs

chat server name vs

multi-user chat server name

in the setup.

I couldn’'t see that in the documentation subdir after the install.

I really think it’‘s something with the user directory since the miranda jabber plugin is looking for a “user directory” where I’‘m sure it is trying to find users. When I “search” from the client for users I manually set up on jive server it’'s not finding them. I was mistaken before thinking it WAS finding them. Sorry.

If the DNS name for the machine was

cat.food.edu then what should be put in server name vs chat server name vs multi user chat server name?

I can have only one DNS entry for this machine and cannot create C names or other entries there.

Ah, I think my stupidity is catching up to me…

I believe I never got information in the JUD for those users. I haven’'t found that option in the Jive server GUI interface.

Anyway, I’‘m trying to use a certified client… aka PSI to send/Publish personal info so I can search on users… It’'s just spinning and spinning (or Microsoft clocking if you like that term better)… Tried to put in information in General, Location, Work, About and hit “Publish” and it just

clocks.

Thinking this is prob root of my problem for searching on other than jid…

And of course… don’'t forget to add the @ info on your add contact! Duh!!! After I fixed that stupidity when adding a contact, all was well IF i just used the JID for search.

Man, just not MY month…

Message was edited by: wimnms

Wimms wrote :

I connect from my client machine with Gaim as TEST1, Miranda as TEST2. Both Connect. If I go to the server and use the admin web interface I can see both are authenticated and Presence: ONLINE shows in the Session Manager tab.

Now, I try to send authorization requests from TEST1 to TEST2 and vice version but neither is getting the message.

From TEST1 it shows TEST2 as offline. From TEST2 it shows TEST1 as offline.

I am having this same exact problem! Would you mind being a little more specific on how you solved this?

I am able to search in my miranda clients on each box, and users show up and I add thembut each one appears offline to the otherwhile the admin GUI shows them as online…

thanks,

Judy

Hey Judy,

It seems that Michael’‘s problem was that he was not providing a valid JID when adding a contact to his roster. He was just writing the user name. In other words, when you add a new contact to your roster you need to provide something of this form @ (eg. johndoe@mycompany.com). Providing just the user name won’'t work.

Let me know if you are still having problems.

Regards,

– Gato