Any data on usage statistics for Wildfire / Spark?

I am participating in an evaluation of wildfire+spark versus home-grown solution. It would be very useful to be able to point to usage statistics as a metric of the health of teh wildfire/spak community. I see tha Jabber.com mentions 10million users of the Jabber prototcol. Is there any public data that indicates the size of the Wildfire community or user base?

Hi,

the user’‘s of this community are about 12259, that’‘s your user-ID (:, and I assume that there are more than 1 % active users. As Jabber servers and clients like Wildfire and Spark will also be used in intranets it is really hard to calculate the userbase. Jivesoftware made very good progress to increase the scalability of the server, now one could be able to handle all 10 million Jabber users with one server and some connection managers. Actually I don’‘t know which “big” sites use Wildfire, that’'s something Matt hopefully knows. It could be really interesting to know how often the server and client software was downloaded.

www.mail-archive.com/jdev@jabber.org/msg17566.html could be interesting but it’'s a very incomplete view.

jabberd1 => 168

ejabberd => 109

jabberd2 => 78

unknown => 64

Wildfire => 49

LG

It’‘s hard to know exactly how many users there are of Wildfire and Spark. However, both get tens of thousands of downloads a month. We’‘re also fairly sure that for new installations of Open Source IM servers it’‘s the most popular choice. I don’‘t think you’'ll find a larger or more active community.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks for your replies. As a geek I know how hard it to get a geeks to predict how long a piece of string is.

My context is a small company with a plan to have potentially 50 users.

Hm … 10k downloads a month. Say 5% of these get deployed with a userbase. Say a userbase is 50 users. So 25,000 new users a month. This could suggest 250k users total.

12,000 registered forum users. If a quarter of these represent an installed server with the same out-my-butt estimate of 50 users per server we would have 150k users total.

If 80% of servers match my context and the other 20% have 2000 users then we have an average userbase of 400

This would turn an estimate of 150k-250k into 1.2 to 2 million users.

So this would suggest that the number of WildFire users is a six figure number.

Does this sound credible?

Let’‘s go with 5,324,152 users. I really can’'t say whether your logic makes sense or not. It probably suffices to say that there are “lots” of users and a big community?

Regards,

Matt

Some time ago there was a poll for visitors of JS.org about number of users they have.

matt wrote:

It’‘s hard to know exactly how many users there are of Wildfire and Spark. However, both get tens of thousands of downloads a month. We’‘re also fairly sure that for new installations of Open Source IM servers it’‘s the most popular choice. I don’‘t think you’'ll find a larger or more active community.

Didn’'t Jive Software did a survey something about a year ago?

sanderd wrote:

Didn’'t Jive Software did a survey something about a year ago?

Yes, i remember i took that survey too.