Any Hope

of getting the plugin for openfire 3.3.3 updated for the MSN issue? I can;t speak for everyone, but I only get to upgrade the server to the latest edition once a year usually and I cannot on a whim drop this box for an hour to update everything.

the currently posted plugin is strictly for 3.5.0 or higher.

Jeff

I cannot on a whim drop this box for an hour to update everything.
one hour? Updating Openfire does take about 10-20 seconds of downtime for me. Also I updated the kernel, downloaded (!) and installed 150 MB of other updates and rebooted the machine in two minutes, some weeks ago. You can also do this in times of minimum usage of your service. This is only a question of good preparation. It’s helpful to have an identical machine to test everything before doing the update on the productive system.

However…some alternate solutions:

1. You could try to find out what was changed in the newest version of the plugin. Then you could possibly do the same things in your old version of the plugin. Problem is that there where some API changes with OF 3.5.0

2. You could try to switch to pyMSNt Transport. But, it is probally a problem to convert the database. Also pyMSNt is currently not longer maintained by an developer. There is only a community patch for this MSN problem. (I should also mention that this patch seems to work for everyone, but me)

In my opinion updating to the current Openfire version is the best solution, because this would also fix some securtiy bugs.

Message was edited by: Coolcat

sorry, but it takes me atleast an hour. once I get the files downloaded, the server service downed, back up all files etc, database, and then off load them THEN i get to begin the installation/upgrade. I have the MSN gateway already and the fix works perfect but I was in the middle of moving people to the gateway so I could premission base all communications.

This isn’t a personal box, it belongs to a fortune 200 company.

once I get the files downloaded, the server service downed, back up all
files etc, database, and then off load them THEN i get to begin the
installation/upgrade.
Using Windows?

Linux has some advantages in server enviroments.

fortune 200 company.
I assume you are using virtual servers. So it should be easy (and cheap) to setup an completly new virtual machine and switch then IP addresses. Maybe it is also possible to make a copy of your old VM, so you don’t have to start from scratch. Just an idea.

(we are using VMware ESX with HA and VMotion, really nice )

No actually I run it on SUSE linux enterprise 9.1 As I said, this is a corporate environment and there are stacks of DR forms that must be filled out on every rollout, and all items must be installed according to a set rules system. No, I do not trust VM enviro’s they are too unstable and the amount of users I have currently would crater most non clustered VM servers. Then we also have a test/burn in on a non-production system atleast two weeks prior. So I hope now you see, that it is not a simple drop and go as it would be at Mom and Pop’s filling station.

Anyway, I guess the answer is there is not a plugin for this server version so I will wait until Christmas when I can get my Change Control Notice approved.

Hi Jeff,

One thing you might want to try (if you have spare box you can experiment with) is swapping out the old jml.jar file for the new java-jml.sf.net as Daniel suggested trying in this post:

If you try and it works, or even if doesn’t, please report back because there are probably other people in the same position you are.

Good luck,

Ryan