ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

Hello,

I have just deployed Openfire 3.4.5 with LDAP and a user base of ~150 users with about 60-70 online at one time so far. The clients have been experiencing disconnects. The error log shows these errors every couple of minutes:

2008.04.09 20:58:40 org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHandle r.java:109)

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)

at com.jcraft.jzlib.ZStream.read_buf(ZStream.java:199)

at com.jcraft.jzlib.Deflate.fill_window(Deflate.java:983)

at com.jcraft.jzlib.Deflate.deflate_slow(Deflate.java:1120)

at com.jcraft.jzlib.Deflate.deflate(Deflate.java:1567)

at com.jcraft.jzlib.ZStream.deflate(ZStream.java:133)

at org.apache.mina.filter.support.Zlib.deflate(Zlib.java:174)

at org.apache.mina.filter.CompressionFilter.filterWrite(CompressionFilter.java:191 )

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callPreviousFilterWrite(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:361)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1300(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.filterWrite(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:659)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.filterWrite(ExecutorFilter.java: 255)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callPreviousFilterWrite(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:361)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1300(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.filterWrite(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:659)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.filterWrite(ProtocolCodecFilte r.java:198)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.filterWrite(Abs tractIoFilterChain.java:587)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.fireFilterWrite(AbstractIo FilterChain.java:355)

at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketSessionImpl.write0(SocketSessionImpl .java:166)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.BaseIoSession.write(BaseIoSession.java:177)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.BaseIoSession.write(BaseIoSession.java:168)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.NIOConnection.deliver(NIOConnection.java:222)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalClientSession.deliver(LocalClientSession .java:754)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalSession.process(LocalSession.java:262)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.RoutingTableImpl.routePacket(RoutingTableImpl.jav a:211)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.Roster.broadcastPresence(Roster.java:587)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.broadcastUpdate(Presenc eUpdateHandler.java:281)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:135)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:110)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:174)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.PresenceRouter.handle(PresenceRouter.java:133)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.PresenceRouter.route(PresenceRouter.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:75)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.SessionManager$ClientSessionListener.onConnectionClos e(SessionManager.java:1116)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.NIOConnection.notifyCloseListeners(NIOConnection. java:182)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.NIOConnection.close(NIOConnection.java:165)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalSession.close(LocalSession.java:303)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:124)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:570)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:58)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:173)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :239)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:283)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java: 885)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)

at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

I also tried to increase the size of the roster cache hoping that may solve the problem due to the large number of users in the roster - it is around 90% percent used. I set cache.username2roster.size

to 524288 but Roster size still shows as 0.50MB in the cache properties.

Thanks in advance.

I know what the problem it is:

Compression on Openfire is very buggy.

very very buggy.

Should I turn off compression then? Wouldn’t that create more problems because of increased size of the roster that needs to be sent and received by the client?

I was using openfire with compression and an LDAP connection with over 100 users daily and get no reports of this. What is the server running on? What is your LDAP server?

Server is running on Debian 4.0 Etch with sun-java6-jre. LDAP is Win2k3 Active Directory.

I’ve tracked the issue more and looks like OpenFire is sending corrupt data to clients sometimes.

On clients I get sometimes errors like these (I word wrapped the message) or other gibberish data:

parse error: <iq type=’’’‘get’’’’ id=’’’'purple459699edÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿty></prsence>>
’’

The data seems to have been corrupted somewhere. (No, I did not mispell “presence”. That is the exact message received by the client.)

This happens around the same time when the above Java exception seems to show up in the error log.

I’ve seen more of this issue. Presence messages are being randomly corrupted when sent to client.

It definitely looks like a bug however I don’t know how to report it. I’ve created a Jira account but does not allow me to create new issues.