Automatic nickname changes in SQL DB

Hi,

We are using Openfire (LDAP AD) with Spark. When a user adds a contact in the Spark client, the nickname field is automatically populated with the username part before the @ sign. If I clear the nickname box before adding the contact, it will use the contacts full name (pulled from AD).
I’ve been searching this forum for a way to have the nickname field automatically populated with the AD “cn” or “displayName”. So far I haven’t been successful.

So I thought I’d take another approach by directly changing the nickname in the SQL table “ofRoster”. However the changes I make there are not propagated to Openfire. It looks like Openfire is caching the database entries.

My questions:

• Do I need to change the nickname in another table(s) or is it indeed a caching issue?
  • If so is there another way to bulk change the nickname in the roster?

Kind regards,

Iwan

Hi,

I’ve been messing around with the “User Service” plugin. It allows me to update entries in the roster. So I guess I have a way to change the nickname now. All I have to do now is create a script that checks if the nicknames are in the correct format and if not, change them using the User Service http command.

I would still prefer that the nickname was filled in using the “cn” or “displayName” from AD, so if anyone knows of a way to do this, that would be great. If not I’ll go this route.

Iwan