Automatically placing MSN contacts into a specific group

Hi all,

I recently posted to the smack mailing list, but now we’‘ve changed to using this plugin, so i thought maybe you people would know. I’‘m writing a custom Jabber application, using Smack, and now Wildfire and the Gateway plugin. What we’‘d really like to do is have all a user’'s MSN contacts added to a MSN group, when they are added by the transport. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

Nick

You could ‘‘cheat’’ and just look for msn.whatever after the @ in the jid and put all those in a single group. Protocol wise, there’'s no way to do subgroups and if you -really- move the contacts to an “MSN Group” group, they will get moved there officially on the MSN servers themselves.

(did that make sense? my mind is all over the place right now)

Hi,

Yes you did make sence, but i don’‘t think i did. I don’'t want to change the MSN group that they are in, but I want to add them to a Jabber group called “MSN” or something.

Thanks,

Nick

Are you wanting to ignore the groups from the MSN server itself? Or “also” put them in an MSN group? At first what I thought you might be asking for was:

MSN

My Buddies

Person A

Person B

Ninjas

Person C

Hmm, very interesting. I didn’‘t realize that the MSN groups came through (they didn’'t seem to when we were using different servers / transports). That makes my question mostly irrelivent, but thank you for your time!

Thanks,

Nick

nickclare wrote:

Hmm, very interesting. I didn’‘t realize that the MSN groups came through (they didn’'t seem to when we were using different servers / transports). That makes my question mostly irrelivent, but thank you for your time!

Thanks,

Nick

=D Awesome! Yeah, unfortunately, that functionality is fairly unique to the IM Gateway plugin for now as there’‘s no official standard for how a transport might be able to directly affect a user’'s roster. =/ I get to cheat because I can use Wildfire internals. ;D