Broadcast to a group

Am I able to broadcast to a group? Is this limited by the client?

gribbler,

You can use the broadcast plugin to do this. It lets you broadcast to all users or to specific groups. The documentation on the plugin is currently a bit weak, so I’‘m attaching a readme file that I’'ve been working on.

Regards,

Matt

Is there plans to add GUI functionality to be able to choose the group you wish to send the message to? Trying to dumb this down as much as possible, it will be used by animators and producers. Not the most technically snappy folks.

Derrick,

Do you have a particular UI and use case in mind? Also, what client will you be using? Some clients support data forms, etc.

Regards,

Matt

looking further into this, I am just triyng to provide a dummy proof solution for non-technical users. I’'m not sure if they are going to be comfortable with the current way, but I will report this to the upper powers, they can decide if they want me to spend some time looking into this further… Thanks Matt

One option we’'ve been talking about – the ability to put broadcast addresses into shared rosters. That would let you configure what broadcast items you want to just show up for each group of users.

Regards,

Matt

That sounds like the “put abitrary JID into roaster” feature. I would love to see this. It makes definitiv sense in this context.

dont know if you are talking about this, but in Exodus i just rightclick group name and choose broadcast. Havent tested it but broadcast window appears with all group’'s users JIDs in address window. So i suppose i can send broadcast message to selected group that way.

The same thing works in Pandion. Right-click the group name and choose “Send a broadcast message”. I appears that this is strictly a client-side operation though.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I have read your readme file. I have extracted the files to the plugin directory already…

As for the second part in configuring it… When I view server properties I do not see those entries. Am I sepposed to manually enter them under “add a new property” ?

Thanks

Donn

you have extracted what? broadcast.jar? You shouldnt. Just copu it to plugins dir and Jive will extract and install it itself. Then just check Server > Server Manager > Plugins page and see if it’'s installed. From now on you can use this plugin in clients, maybe just client restart is required.

no I didn’'t touch broadcast.jar, just moved it to the plugins folder.

However when I go into the admin console, under plugins, there is none listed. Just says “no plugins installed”.

Donn

no I didn’'t touch broadcast.jar, just moved it to the

plugins folder.

and have you looked in plugins folder, did Jive extract it to a folder Broadcast? IBTW, what OS? Maybe this is a permissions issue, if linux.

nope no folder called broadcast in the plugins directory.

Using Windows Server 2000 Pro

My test JM installation at home:

Windows 2000 Pro SP3, J2SE RE 1.5.0-03, Jive Messenger 2.1.3 and Broadcast 1.2 (from: http://www.jivesoftware.org/messenger/plugins.jsp).

Do you have latest versions of JM and plugin?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I

have read your readme file. I have extracted the

files to the plugin directory already…

There shouldn’‘t be an extracting step… just put the broadcast.jar plugin file in your plugins directory and that’'s it.

As for the second part in configuring it… When I

view server properties I do not see those entries. Am

I sepposed to manually enter them under "add a new

property" ?

Yep, add them as new properties.

Regards,

Matt

Yes I do, just setup my IM server in the last week and got the plugin from the same same link you just posted.

I seem to have figured it out, still not sure what I was doing wrong. But it is now listed under plugins. Now to boradcast would I need to do it from a client? Personally I use PSI. Or is there a section in the admin console that I can choose the groups or users to broadcast the emssage too?

Thanks to both of you for your help,

Donn

Not sure about Psi. Try to right click some group in Psi (or selection of users) and select Broadcast or something like that. This works with Exodus for sure;) There is no broadcast in Admin Console. The only thing you can do is to sent administrative message to all online users from server. It’'s in Sessions > Send Message section and available without plugins.

Thanks for all the help,

Would be nice in future versions if they possible include more functuality for that feature. Such as sending it to certain pre-defined groups or users

Thanks again,

Donn