Browsing Services and Registering with IM gateways (ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, MSN)

If I undestand correctly, th API currently does no have an iq/browse feature which lists the gateways available to other IMs.

I can use the XMPPConnection to login with a jabber id, but there does not appear to be an API to enumerate the gateways and consequently login to each of them, so that messages to any of my IM accounts will arrive.

This is frequently used feature with the Jabber clients.

Is that on the Smack roadmap.

How would you suggest I go about implementing this currently?

Ivelin

Ivelin,

AFAIK, the Browse functionality (JEP11) was replaced by the Service Discovery functionality (JEP30) because of some limitations. However, I think that many servers still support browsing and many do not still support disco.

In the daily builds you can find that Smack already implements the Service Discovery functionality. I also don’‘t think that adding iq/browse is in Smack’'s roadmap. However, if you want to implement iq/browse please let us know so we can assist you. As a starting point, you can following this link in order to learn the specification http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0011.html[/url].

Regards,

– Gato

Hi,

I have implementation of request of gateway list on the server using iq/agents packets, creating and deleting account on gateway. It is uncomplete but work on jabber.com and myjabber.net , but jabber.ru, for example, after 28 oct understand only iq/disco (it use ejabberd)

I can send sources but where?

Best regards,

Oleg

Sounds like Oleg did the job.

What is the contribution process?

Appears that the popular Jabber clients still use the old protocol. Both JAJC and Tipic are able to gateway through amessage.info and tipic.com, but not jabber.ru.

It should be worth adding this to Smack with an abstraction layer that will allow a smooth transition to the new protocol.

Event better if the implementation can try both behind the scenes.

Ivelin

Hi, Ivelin.

Sorry but I didn’'t understand you. What is “the contribution process”?

I can send sources to your email address if you need or can send to developers of Smack library if they want. Is it the contribution process?

Oleg

Oleg,

the question was to the core developers of Smack.

I expected them to provide you with info how to contribute your code.

I would be interested to see your sources, but I do not have CVS access to Smack.

Use ivelin (at) apache.org

Ivelin

It should be worth adding this to Smack with an

abstraction layer that will allow a smooth transition

to the new protocol.

Event better if the implementation can try both

behind the scenes.

Things like this are very tricky. The current JEP process is a complete mess and in some ways I feel like we have a responsibility to the community to implement only the JEP’‘s that should be truly broadly supported. Since browsing has been officially supplanted by discovery, to me that means that we shouldn’‘t officially support browsing as a Smack extension. However, I totally understand why someone would want browsing for certain purposes, such as interacting with older servers. Maybe there should be certain Smack extensions that aren’‘t official? For example, I’'m more than happy to provide links to side projects on Sourceforge or JabberStudio that implement things like the browse protocol. Would people be interested in this approach?

Regards,

Matt

yes

Hi,

I have implementation of request of gateway list on

the server using iq/agents packets, creating and

deleting account on gateway. It is uncomplete but

work on jabber.com and myjabber.net , but

jabber.ru, for example, after 28 oct understand only

iq/disco (it use ejabberd)

I can send sources but where?

Best regards,

Oleg

hi oleg - could you send me your source code of sending messages to the ICQ…?

if u do - my E-mail is nisnaor@bezeqint.net

10X