Buddy List Not Showing All Online Users

Recently we are no longer seeing all users that are online and connected as online in our buddy list. When i check the admin console it shows users as logged on, but they appear in the buddy window as not online. this doesnt happen with all users.

we recently upgraded to OpenFire from WildFire and we recently added the gateways plugin and added a few AIM users.

Any ideas?

Having the same issue. Started late last night.

I can see users’ active sessions in the Administrator Console, but users are unable to see that their buddies are logged in. Attempts to send messages to “offline” users fail as well.

I was able to correctly see users’ status by deleting them from my roster and re-requesting to add them as buddies. Kind of a pain with lots of users.

i was able to resolve the issue by stopping and restarting our IM server. there were a few openfire.exe processes hanging around. after i killed all the processes and restarted OpenFire via the windows service, everything is ok.

Having multiple instances of Openfire running could explain that problem. Anyway, Sniper’s case is different I guess unless he was also running into the same scenario.

– Gato

Stopping and starting the openfire process was the first thing I tried… to no avail. I’m running on RHES4 and have the following openfire processes (after restarts)

30715 pts/1 S 0:00 su -s /bin/sh -c /opt/openfire/jre/bin/java -server -DopenfireHome=/opt/openfire -Dopenfire.lib.dir=/opt/openfire/lib -classpath “/opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar” -jar “/opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar” daemon

30718 pts/1 Sl 0:08 /opt/openfire/jre/bin/java -server -DopenfireHome=/opt/openfire -Dopenfire.lib.dir=/opt/openfire/lib -classpath /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar -jar /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar

Hey Sniper,

Are you using shared groups or are you adding contacts manually? Have you changed the domain of the server? Is there any way we can reproduce what you are seeing?

Thanks,

– Gato

Hey Gato,

Haven’t changed the domain name… though I noticed (for the first time today) that next to my server name, there’s a ‘yellow triangle with the exclamation mark’ “attention” symbol. The server name, isn’t the same as the host name. but it’s resolvable in DNS, and it’s in the hosts file. The install is pretty fresh (less than 2 weeks) but I think I would have noticed it before. The only thing that I could try to reproduce this is take the machine down with an init 0 (and add some RAM). That’s the last thing that was done last night before the problems started. We’re adding users manually… no shared groups yet.

I too have this same problem with openfire 3.3.2 , im using pandion as the client, on a setup of 140 concurrent users, they keep connecting and disconnecting randomly all the time, and the users connected are not seeing all the other contacts online, im populating all the users’s roasters myself.

I already changed INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS= to “-Xms112m -Xmx192m” (of 3.GB on the server) which should be enough RAM… right? i too see that exclamation mark on the admin panel and it wasnt there before i updated to 3.3.2 (4 days ago).

What else can i try folks?

Thanks in advance.

@ ‘yellow triangle with the exclamation mark’: click on it and create new certificates which match your server name. This should not solve one one the problems you are seeing but it will then no longer be displayed.

Are you using compression with Pandion? Then you may want to disable it in Openfire as there is a bug.

Do you see errors in the Openfie log files or in Pandion log files? You may want to post them, preferably in a new thread as taking over ones thread is usually evil (;

LG

we are also having the same problem, are there any solutions so far?

I have been experiencing this problem as well since I installed my OpenFire server. I have found that after I make user changes I need to restart the openfire service. After I do that all is well.

Here is my thread where I posted some of my problems. I doubt it will help much though.