powered by Jive Software

BUG 3.2.0 Beta - Null pointer on setup-finished.jsp

After going through the setup wizard and everything working well (MSSQL2005 & AD users/groups), I clicked on the “Continue” button on the “Administrator Account” page and got this HTTP-500 error:

HTTP ERROR: 500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR RequestURI=/setup/setup-finished.jsp
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.admin.setup.setup_002dfinished_jsp._jspService(setup_002dfinished_jsp.java:74)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:491)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1074)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:41)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:365)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:185)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:689)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:391)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:146)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:285)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:457)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:751)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:500)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:209)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:357)
     at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:329)
     at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:475) Powered by Jetty://

Not sure what the problem is. Service is running as an administrator, so I doubt it’'s a permissions problem. All tests have been successful throughout the setup wizard (well, except for the issue I mentioned here…but I figured that was harmless).

Update: I can no longer reproduce this error. Went back to the beginning of the setup and went straight thought, and it worked fine this time. There may still be a bug there, but I can’'t find it now. ??

Hey Cameron,

Thanks for the bug report. Any chance the session expired (e.g. due to a long inactive timeout) and then a new one was created so no session attributes were found? Any info on how to reproduce this problem would be great. BTW, I think that this issue was already present in Wildfire 3.1.*.

Thanks,

– Gato

Gato,

Yes, it’‘s possible the session had expired. I got distracted when I reached the “Administrator Account” page, so there was a delay between when I reached that page and when I hit continue on it. I don’‘t remember how long it was though. The odd thing about it, though, is that I could add/remove admins and test their accounts just fine after the session would have expired – it’'s was only when I hit continue that the error occured. I could even hit the back button after the error to get back to the Admins page and still modify the admin list.

Hope this helps!

This just happened to me too, and I recovered by starting over.

I had stopped mid-stream (while on the DB setup page) to set up my MSSQL DB and login, so I suspect that the possible explanation above may be correct.