I spent quite a few hours debugging the setup of Openfire with Active Directory integration. Whatever I did, it kept saying that the login credentials for the AD administrator account were incorrect. Eventually I used FireFox’s Web Developer plugin to show the actual contents of the password field, only to find out that the last 2 characters of the password (a 32 character random MD5 hash, in our case) were cut off. The password field turns out to have a limit of 30 characters, but since it shows the password bullets, there’s no way to tell.
I removed the limit from the input field, copy & pasted the password and it worked like a charm. I would, however, strongly recommend to remove the maximum length from the password field. I do realize that we’re an exception with our 32-character long hash, but still