Bug Report: Spark 2.6.0.12252 - unable to create account

I started a discussion on this earlier today, when I mistakenly thought that I had downloaded Spark 2.5.8 for customization. I realized later that I actually had 2.6.0.

If I build the source code (“ant release” from the build directory) and either compile with install4j OR simply run startup.bat (from target\build\bin), I can login, chat, and do all normal activities - except for registering a new account. Message is “registering with MYDOMAIN.COM, please wait…” - this never goes away. I have made zero edits to the source - this happens with a freshly checkout out version from SVN.

If I download the already compiled Spark 2.5.8, this issue does not occur.

Server is Openfire 3.7.0 running CentOS 5, standard install. Client environment is windows, issue occurs on both Win XP and Win 7.

I managed to get my hands on 2.5.8 (which is not listed in the public svn repository for some reason) and can confirm that this issue does not occur in that version.

I’m unduly proud of myself - I even managed to get it to build by editing build.xml to allow fur use of ant 1.8.x. Yes, I am now approaching “hello world” level java programing skills.

Pride goeth before a fall. I’m not compiling 2.5.8 after all. It errors and dies with an undefined name at line 276. Sigh.

Confirmed issue on 3.6.4.

Error log on the client:

org.jvnet.lafwidget.UiThreadingViolationException: Component state change must be done on Event Dispatch Thread

at org.jvnet.lafwidget.LafWidgetUtilities.testComponentStateChangeThreadingViolati on(LafWidgetUtilities.java:593)

at org.jvnet.lafwidget.animation.FadeStateListener$1.stateChanged(FadeStateListene r.java:232)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setRollover(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.setEnabled(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.AccountCreationWizard$3.construct(AccountCreationWizard.java:2 34)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:141)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Exception in thread “Thread-6” org.jvnet.lafwidget.UiThreadingViolationException: Component state change must be done on Event Dispatch Thread

at org.jvnet.lafwidget.LafWidgetUtilities.testComponentStateChangeThreadingViolati on(LafWidgetUtilities.java:593)

at org.jvnet.lafwidget.animation.FadeStateListener$1.stateChanged(FadeStateListene r.java:232)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setRollover(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.setEnabled(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.AccountCreationWizard$3.construct(AccountCreationWizard.java:2 34)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:141)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Well, that’s just peachy. In the meantime, can anyone point me to source for a version that will (a) allow for an account to be created and (b) compile with Ant 1.8?

I would be ever so grateful!

Silly me, I’ve been refreshing this foru to see if someone had an answer to my issue, or at least a comment beyond that of Walter’s (thanks for that).

Now I see that spark 2.6.0 has been in a pending state since at least 2009 (where I see a reference to 2.6.0 beta 3).

Wow. Just, wow.

I suppose that I should really assume that spark “is what it is”, and not hope for much more. Is that right? Should I go take a look at pidgin or one of the other open source clients?

I hate to do that - spark seems like a really nice project. The UI is great. The downloadable version seems to work wonderfully. The 2.6.0 improvements look ambitious, and would be nice to have, but it’s clear that some basic items are broken in it.

Is there any way at all to get my hands on an actual version of 2.5.8 source that will compile? Can anyone at all help me to find this? Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

If you take a look into http://community.igniterealtime.org/docs/DOC-2157 and the change log, you can see that there is some life in Spark. We will release 2.6.0 final this month. For sure. There are at least two dedicated programmers working on it forthe next 2 months.There is even a valid road map http://community.igniterealtime.org/docs/DOC-2097

If you are saying that basic features are broken, I would like to report them. I am using the trunk daily and haven’t noticed broken basic features. But this might be related to the fact that I am working on a sub-set of functionalities and the account creation is disabled in my prod environment.

I can only invite you to share code with the project. There are hundrets of features and bug reports in http://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK

I see the life, and I see that 2.6.0, even as is, is much further along than 2.5.8.

As stated above, I’m an absolute neophyte with java, but I’m trying to pick things up. If I figure out anything that will improve the project, I’ll be happy to share.

In the meantime, I’m going to set up a PHP registration form for users who want accounts. I’ll collect their info and insert it directly into mysql from there, then allow them to download the client. They should never be the wiser.

It’s not a bug… it’s a FEATURE.

EDIT: discovered the user management plugin for openfire that does this, and it works like a charm. Excellent code, that.