Build without jetty

Hello.

I wonder if there was a possibility to build jivemessenger from sources without any jetty references. When I move the lib/merge/jetty.jar and do a ant war, I’'ve errors with logimpl and webappcontext.

Thanks.

Hi Aurélien,

Is there a particular reason why you don’‘t want to use the jetty.jar to build the war file? Just because jetty is being used to build the war doesn’‘t mean you can’'t deploy it to another app server like Tomcat.

Thanks,

Ryan

It’'s confusing for me

When I build JM without this jar I see:

/home/aurelien/src/jive_messenger_src/src/java/org/jivesoftware/messenger/conta iner/AdminConsolePlugin.java:147: cannot find symbol

symbol : class WebApplicationContext

location: class org.jivesoftware.messenger.container.AdminConsolePlugin

WebApplicationContext webAppContext = jetty.addWebApplication("/",

Why the AdminConsole needs this jetty variable? I’‘ve build the 2.2.1 with ant war and deployed it in my Tomcat, I see errors for loggin, that’'s why I ask the question.

Thx.

It’'s confusing for me

Ah, I can see why.

When Messenger is deployed as a stand alone application the admin console acts as a special kind of plugin that starts up an instance of jetty to provide the web interface. There’‘s an issue in JIRA, JM-70, to have the admin console not be a plugin but isn’‘t considered a high priority since there haven’'t been any votes for it.

I’'ve build the 2.2.1 with ant war and deployed it in my Tomcat, I see errors for loggin,

that’'s why I ask the question.

Are you seeing errors even when you don’'t remove the jetty jar? If so, could you post them here.

Thanks,

Ryan

Well… The 2.2.2 (ant war, deploy war, no modification), works well. No error.

Thanks for your answer

Thanks for your answer

You’'re welcome. Glad to hear you got everything working. Be sure to mark the question as answered and award any points as you see fit.

Ok.

I’'ve built 2.2.2 from source (ant build). Copy in the webapp/ directory of a empty tomcat, it works fine.

When I deploy it in a virtual hosted tomcat (with each vhost in a separate directory and a Host entry in server.xml), I’'ve got awful errors:

Jive Messenger 2.2.2

Error starting admin console: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger

22 sept. 2005 21:43:06 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline registerValve

INFO: Can’'t register valve org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve[]

org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.mortbay.log.Factory (Caused by java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:

org.mortbay.log.Factory)

More anoying, none of my webapp could ever start, all complains about the same error.

Can JiveMessenger be deployed like I do?

Hi Aurélien,

It looks like your hosting company is running Tomcat with Java 1.4, Messenger needs 1.5 to work. You’'ll need to contact your hosting company and see if they can upgrade you to the lastest version of Java.

Regards,

Ryan

Hello.

I’‘m using JDK 1.5. I’‘m sure, I’‘m my own hosting compagny, and I’'m using Tomcat 5.5.

Hey Aurélien,

My guess is that your home directory is including the admin plugin in the plugins folder. So when JM is loaded it is trying to load the admin console. You may want to check url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/entry.jspa?externalID=431&categoryID=2 2this document[/url] that describes how to install and run JM in Tomcat.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi.

Works much better. That was the admin/ directory in plugins.

Many thanks.

Gato, thanks for jumping in. I somehow missed Aurélien’'s previous reply.

Aurélien, good to hear everything is working for you.