Can I split out the "front end" c2s/s2s or setup a c2s/s2s proxy?

I am sure this has been asked and answered several times, but I didn’'t find anything that sounded particularly positive.

We deploy our applications into a multi-tiered web infrastructure. The front-end (tier1) is Internet facing, and we generally run a sort of “proxy” there. Sun’'s IM calls this “mux.” The “Application Tier” (tier2) is generally where we run our “backend” xmpp server. This server (in tier2) cannot talk to the Internet, but can communicate with other “internal-only” xmpp servers, it also has access to “ldap” for auth/e and “mysql” to store user preferences. The “databases” are in the “Data Tier” (tier3).

Anyhow, is there any way to run Wildfire in this way? I’‘d like to move from Sun’‘s Java System IM to Wildfire, but it has to be compatible with our current infrastructure. We were able to do this before we started using SunIM (before they were XMPP) by using the opensource jabber.org 2.0 components. Sun’‘s IM is still in its early stages feature and compatibility wise. The only thing it provides is integration with Portal and authentication/authorisation thru Sun’'s Access Manager (which we use).

So, is this a stupid question that no one wants to waste their time with, or does no one really know the answer?

~tommy

Hi Tommy,

Jivesoftware does imho not offer a proxy (tier1), but the other functions like s2s (also using a whitelist if desired) are available. Looking at the many LDAP threads the integration could be a little tricky. The mysql database setup seems also a little tricky because of the UTF-8 workaround one must use.

“mux” should be an application level proxy, so it may be hard to find a good replacement, or is it a simple TCP proxy?

LG

I believe our MUX is an application level proxy… or more…

It’'s the part that does the SSL on N front end machines, while they all connect to the backend server in the clear to make it more “scalable” I guess?

~tommy

Hi Tommy,

the MUX seems to be a very interesting product. Soemthing like this would be a nice goodie for Project Pampero.

You may use “trial and error” to check if it depends on the 2nd tier server, I think that it does as companies love to bundle there products so one usually has no chance to use only the good parts.

LG