Can not update from 4.2.3 to 4.3.2 on Debian - !RESOLVED!

can not update from 4.2.3 to 4.3.2.

See attached screenshot. The installation begins. this begs the question if you want to keep the openfire.xml configuration file. I answer N (default) to keep the currently installed version. It then shows 3 steps and it stops like this. Openfire stops responding, you can not connect spark to it, or connect to the admin console.

Can someone tell me what is the problem?

I have already made updates to Openfire without any problems so far by following the same method;

sudo dpkg -i downloadServlet? filename = openfire% 2Fopenfire_3.10.2_all.deb

I made a back (virtual machine) to put openfire online quickly and there I do not see what to do to pass this update.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

openfire1

818/5000

Have moved your post into a separate topic. There is a related ticket, but nobody has looked into it yet https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/OF-1684

In the Openfire 4.3.1 was announced a new feature - one-time access tokens (https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/OF-1285 and https://github.com/igniterealtime/Openfire/pull/1249) which used for recovery purposes.

The openfire.xml was changed with comments to describe about this feature. And the same file was changed during installation. Therefore apt don’t know what it should do. You can ignore changes and choose the ‘N’ choice to save your configuration.

1 Like

In fact it is not a problem of login to access the console. But the console is not accessible at all (Openfire does not restart, no response from the openfire web interface and can not connect spark no more).

And I chose “N” to keep the current configuration file (default) during the update.

ma1uta was not telling you that you have login problem. He just explained why upgrade process asks to do something with openfire.xml (because new option was added in 4.3.1 to reset login access).

After you complete installation (with N option), how do you start Openfire? Also check its logs at /openfire/logs/all.log

ok sorry, my english is very limited …

Openfire on previous updates would reboot alone at the end. There nothing starts. I tried a /etc/init.d/openfire start, but it does not help.

Below is an excerpt from the logs where we obviously see 11 connection attempts that fall into error (I can not attach a file to this message as a new user, so I put below the 11th and last attempt). Obviously the way of connecting to the database (deported to another server) has changed and apparently there is something missing for him to communicate with the database.
MySQL version is 14.12 Distr. 5.0.96 but I did not see anything in the prerequisites that would require a newer version …

What can I do?

2019.02.13 23:28:37 ERROR [main]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer - Database could not be accessed
java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH is required
	at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager.java:156) ~[xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:946) [xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:648) [xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.<init>(XMPPServer.java:236) [xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:442) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:92) [startup.jar:4.3.2]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:56) [startup.jar:4.3.2]
2019.02.13 23:28:37 ERROR [main]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer - java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH is required
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH is required
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:956) ~[xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:648) [xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.<init>(XMPPServer.java:236) [xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:442) [?:1.8.0_191]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:92) [startup.jar:4.3.2]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:56) [startup.jar:4.3.2]
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH is required
	at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager.java:156) ~[xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:946) ~[xmppserver-4.3.2.jar:4.3.2]
        ... 9 more

Can you share you database connection line from /openfire/conf/openfire.xml (replace password hash with xxx).

I suppose you are talking about the file of my machine under 4.2.3 (which works)?

See below (I changed the IP (it is that of the server where the database is stored) and the loggin / password even if they are encrypted).

I specify that I use this installation for years, that I updated it every time without problem and that there was never any problem of connection to the database.

<connectionProvider> 
    <className>org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider</className> 
  </connectionProvider>  
  <database> 
    <defaultProvider> 
      <driver>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver>  
      <serverURL>jdbc:mysql://123.32.98.64:3306/openfire2</serverURL>  
      <username encrypted="true">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</username>  
      <password encrypted="true">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</password>  
      <testSQL>select 1</testSQL>  
      <testBeforeUse>false</testBeforeUse>  
      <testAfterUse>false</testAfterUse>  
      <minConnections>5</minConnections>  
      <maxConnections>25</maxConnections>  
      <connectionTimeout>1.0</connectionTimeout> 
    </defaultProvider> 
  </database>  

@wroot
It seems I found the problem.
In the 4.3.2 the mysql jdbc driver was updated from 5.1.42 to 8.0.12 (https://github.com/igniterealtime/Openfire/commit/77804b63cd6c7f9caf37a0d1cc3761f4b67e039b). And this broke probably because the new jdbc driver doesn’t support old mysql database (Need time to investigate).
@rosco could you please download the old driver from http://central.maven.org/maven2/mysql/mysql-connector-java/5.1.42/mysql-connector-java-5.1.42.jar and replace drvier in the lib folder mysql-connector-8.0.12.jar?
Also could you please write your mysql version?

1 Like

I remember now what i meant to say earlier today and forgot. MySQL 5.0 won’t work. MySQL connector in 4.3 has been updated to the latest version and it only supports 5.5 and higher. 5.0 is very very old (it is not even mentioned here as old… :slight_smile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL).

You mentioned that you checked the prerequisites. Where exactly were you looking for this? Changelog, database documentation? It was mentioned in 4.3.0 release blog post (last note). We have also updated database installation guide and removed exact version numbers and state that DB should be supported by Oracle. Maybe we should put it somewhere else.

As for the current situation. Not sure if you can upgrade your MySQL. Otherwise you are stuck with 4.2.3 version.

Hi,
My mariadb is
mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.37-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
Is support for 4.3.2
Because I try to install the 4.3.0 not connect to mariadb and today try to install 4.3.2 not connect
when install the old 4.2.3 is connect well to mariadb and AD.

Hi to all I successfully install the openfire 4.3.2 and connect to mariadb well.
The problem with not connect is for me time zone.
For test I setup and openfire 4.3.0 with the same way.
But before install the openfire from deb I run command

timedatectl set-timezone UTC

After change the timezone setup and run openfire 4.3.2 is ok.
I think is not good when to install new version on Debian/Ubuntu and connect Mysql/Mariadb need to change timezone.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, I have to upgrade to 4.3.2 and replace “mysql-connector-8.0.12.jar” by “mysql-connector-java-5.1.42.jar”? Should I rename it to mysql-connector-8.0.12.jar? It will be in /usr/share/openfire/lib/ ?
That’s right?

The version of mysql that openfire is connecting to is 14.12 Distr. 5.0.96

You can try first just dropping it in and removing new connector, then try renaming old connector like the new one.

It is not necessary to rename. Just place the jar into the lib folder and remove the old one.

It is done! I restart openfire then and it works !!

On the other hand, I obviously have flaws in some titles in the genre ??? index.cs_blog ??? on the home page in the yellow box instead of “Ignite Realtime News” (there are plenty of other; ??? plugin.admin.upload_plugin ???, ??? plugin.available.file_size ???, etc. …). But it only happens when I’m in French. As soon as I switch to English it is displayed well. So I think it’s a problem when translating? It does not seem to be a problem with the operation of openfire anyway.

I keep the procedure as it seems logical that I should do it on the next updates where the connector will be changed every time.

Thank you for your help anyway!
Have a good day!
Stéphane

Yes, you would have to remove new connector after every update (maybe old one will be left in place by the installer as it didn’t come with the installer).

Yes, French translation file is missing some strings and then it shows ???.

2 posts were split to a new topic: But after restarting the server, the administrator console was no longer available