Can "WildFire Server" run without log in?

Is it possible to make “WildFire Server” run at the background whenever the power is on even without user logging?

The computer installed with “WildFire Server” will be turned off everyday. And the owner of the computer will be off for about 2 weeks.

We hope we can run the “WildFire Server” by just turning on the power of that computer without logging…

Can we??

Thanks!

Are you running the server under Windows or *nix ?

i have the same question and i am running it under windows

In unix, it starts at boot with the init process. I’‘d guess it’'d be similar in windows, but dunno.

It sounds like you need to install the Wildfire service. It will start the Wildfire server on boot without the need for anyone to log in. For instructions on how to do this see the install guide here :

http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/wildfire/docs/latest/documentation/install- guide.html#windows

Cheers,

Nate

that is exactly what i needed.

Thanks very much!!!

Does that mean after install the “WildFire-Service”, it will start the service automatically when the system boot up? Or I should configure something else to make it automatically starts the service?

Besides, I have no idea about the Custom parameter part:

Custom Parameters

Advanced users may wish to pass in parameters to the Java virtual machine (VM) to customize the runtime environment of Wildfire. You can do this by creating vmoptions files in the bin/ directory of your Wildfire installation. For the Windows service, you’‘d create a new text file called wildfire-service.vmoptions. Each parameter to the VM should be on a new line of the file. For example, to set the minimum heap size to 512 MB and max VM heap size to 1024 MB, you’'d use:

-Xms512m

-Xmx1024m

To create parameters for the normal launcher, create a file called wildfired.vmoptions (since the wildfire.exe launcher invokes the wildfired.exe executable to actually start the server).

Is there some detailed information about how to create such a vmoption file and what is it??

I need to google on…

I run my server under linux, but yes you would need to install the ‘‘WildFire-Service’’ and then go to your services and configure it to automatic.

I wouldn’'t concern yourself with the custom parameters if you are only planning to have 10 users on the server, the default settings will be more then enough

Hi,

Does that mean after install the “WildFire-Service”, it will start the service automatically when the system boot up?

Yes, you may also want to check your Windows “Services” within the Control Panel / Administrative Tools.

wildfire-service.vmoptions

Just create such a file and make sure that you don’'t create wildfire-service.vmoptions.txt. There you can specify JVM parameters, the most important one is Xmx which specifies the max. java heap and the default is 64 MB.

With Wildfire 3.1 you may want to calculate 0,5-1,5 MB for every connected user - so if you have 1000 concurrent users you may want to add these values to it:

-Xms256m

-Xmx1024m

Xms specifies the initial and min. heap, it usually makes sense to set it to Xmx/4-Xmx/2.

LG