Cannot build plugins from stable source

I’'m using the Openfire 3.3.0 stable source. The openfire target compiles fine, but if I try the plugins, I get:

BEGIN SNIPPET -

openfireHome:

-plugins-impl-dev:

-plugin-impl-dev-build:

-plugins-impl:

BUILD FAILED

/root/openfire_src/build/build.xml:1129: The following error occurred while executing this line:

/root/openfire_src/build/build.xml:1138: Could not create task or type of type: for.

Ant could not find the task or a class this task relies upon.

FINISH SNIPPET -

I’‘m trying this on Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.19) with Ant 1.6.5. I’‘ve tried both the Sun 1.5 (1.5.0_11-b03) and 1.6 (1.6.0-b105) JDKs. I have previously built Wildfire 3.2.4 on this same system. Any ideas on what I’'m doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any more information to help. Thanks in advance .

Great news, I fixed it myself. I had to upgrade to Ant 1.7.0. Not sure what’‘s up, and it’'s supposed to work with 1.6.5 according to the build script, but in the event anyone else has the same problem, try this :). Thanks.

dougthug,

I used to have the same problem but with the sources from the release 3.2.4. I have two machines with equal development environment (JDK 1.6, build 105 + Ant 1.7.3) and this configuration has built releases 3.2.3 and 3.3.0 (server + plugins) without any problems, but both machines refuse to build the plugins target for release 3.2.4.

I found that my problem may be related to the pack200.exe executable which can not be located/detected correctly for whatever reason… Changing the JDK to 1.5 or Ant to 1.6.5 did not solve the problem. Anyway I’'m working now with version 3.3.0 and have no problems building the server.

What I assume is for some reason JDK has sometime missing or wrong information about part of the JDK’'s binaries, I didnt yet figured out what configurations affect this, but have in mind at some point latter to battle this strange behaviour.

Kind regards,

sbogus.

Message was edited by: sbogus

Well, I had spoken too soon before. I did get past my initial problem building the plugins, but now I have a new one (oh joy):

BEGIN SNIPPET -

openfireHome:

Created dir: /root/openfire_src/work/plugins

-plugins-impl-dev:

-plugin-impl-dev-build:

-plugins-impl:

BUILD FAILED

/root/openfire_src/build/build.xml:1129: The following error occurred while executing this line:

/root/openfire_src/build/build.xml:1138: Problem: failed to create task or type for

Cause: The name is undefined.

Action: Check the spelling.

Action: Check that any custom tasks/types have been declared.

Action: Check that any declarations have taken place

FINISH SNIPPET -

sbogus, you may be on to something about the environment stuff, but the build errors leave me confused. Line 1138 refers to the buildplugin macro, but I don’'t see anything wrong with the macro on line 1175. Anyone? Thanks again.

I figured it out, and I’‘m a little dumbfounded by it. At least as it pertains to my instance, the problem is with Ant, or rather with the way Ant is installed by Gentoo. For troubleshooting purposes, I downloaded a binary copy of the Ant package from the Apache Group and used it to compile. Everything worked fine, except the plugins-dev target. That just failed on the line 237 at the fail if=“ant.not.ok”, even though it is 1.7.0. I commented that out and plugins-dev finished successfully. But regardless, I got past that problem. So now I just need to figure out what Gentoo did with it’'s environment to screw up Ant :). Thanks.

…and then I found the answer. There’‘s already people who have done the work for me, so I’‘m all upgraded and everything. For anyone else who hasn’'t pulled out all of their hair already (or for those who are bald now too), just check here.