Can't connect to server O.o

Hey guys,

So I’m trying to setup an instant messaging server at my work and I’m running into a little trouble. I’ve already setup an openfire server and installed spark on a client PC. However, when I attempt to connect to the server I get the message “Can’t connect to server: invalid name or server not reachable.” Also when I attempt to login to the server via spark on the actual server machine it works fine. Both machines are on the same network so I’m a little confused as to what the issue is…something to do with ports mayhaps?

Any insight would be helpful .

Also I’m able to ping the server.

do you use spark??? for chatting application??if yes just write your server name on advance-host

if you are using multiple ip address, 192.168.0. and 192.168.6

thi clients that uses ip 192.168.6 the host should be on ip address server,it means the server should have multiple ip address too

When you ping your server, you ping it by IP address or its hostname? If its hostname is not resolvable on the network ,then Spark can’t find out where exactly the server is if you specify server’s name in the server field. You can try using IP address in Spark for the server name, or you can go to Advanced menu and put server’s IP address into host field and then put Openfire server’s name in to server field on login screen. I mean Openfire server’s name, the one you gave it during the web setup (usually it defaults to computer’s hostname, but it is possible to change it).

Tried using the host name instead of ip address in the server field and it worked . Prior to this I tried doing this AND manually entering the ip (As well as messing with the port) in advanced settings and it didn’t work.

Thanks for clueing me into the solution guys .