Cant enter to any conference room on Spark 2.9.2 after update OpenFire to 4.6

4.5.4 correct conference settings:

I think its not only the MUC rooms problem. All MUC “module” doesn’t work fine…

This option should not interfere with joining muc rooms…
The code only prevents openfire from unloading (now showing) old empty muc rooms if there were no occupants in this room for the given days… before this check was integrated… openfire allways unloaded muc rooms from memory with no users when there were empty for some time…
The description in the admin console is wrong. I’ve fixed it (PR posted). You can configure this option for every single muc service. So the preference is not for all services at once.
The code is running at my servers for over a year now without problems… so this option has nothing to do with your problem. :confused:

I mean that even in this place it load wrong settings from DB (i think) in new version.

I have tried to enter in version 4.7.0 to room config (that is not listed in 4.7 but listed in 4.5.4) by link generated from version 4.5.4.

http://servername:9090/muc-room-edit-form.jsp?success=true&roomJID=MUCroom%40conference.servername.domain.local

and i get this error:

Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.muc_002droom_002dedit_002dform_jsp._jspService(muc_002droom_002dedit_002dform_jsp.java:276)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:71)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsyncServlet.service(ServletHolder.java:1411)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:763)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1651)
	at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.obtainContent(SiteMeshFilter.java:129)
	at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.doFilter(SiteMeshFilter.java:77)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1638)
	at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:73)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1638)
	at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:49)
	at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:226)
	at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:234)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1630)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:567)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:602)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1610)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1377)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:507)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1580)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1292)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:191)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:501)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:556)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:273)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:105)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$1.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:375)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Its something strange that i discovered:

From where version 4.6 and 4.7 takes MUC rooms data?! 4.5.4 its 100% fit with MS SQL. 4.6+ its hard to say…

Sorry i have to low knowledge to understand this. I have changed name of “ofMucRoom” table, restart servers, and 4.5.4 or 4.7.0 load different data (cache clear). OMG but from where… Table name changed and server load MUC, sorry but i cant help you more…

I tried this but it doesn’t solve…

I have the same issue with conference rooms.
We can not create new rooms, or use the ones that were in existence prior to the update.

When I try to modify settings on a room in existence already - I get the following error:

Exception:
org.jivesoftware.openfire.muc.ConflictException
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.muc.spi.IQOwnerHandler.processConfigurationForm(IQOwnerHandler.java:247)
	at org.jivsoftware.openfire.muc.spi.IQOwnerHandler.handleDataFormElement(IQOwnerHandler.java:180)
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.muc.spi.IQOwnerHandler.handleIQ(IQOwnerHandler.java:109)
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.muc_002droom_002dedit_002dform_jsp._jspService(muc_002droom_002dedit_002dform_jsp.java:423)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:71)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsyncServlet.service(ServletHolder.java:1411)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:763)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1651)
	at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.obtainContent(SiteMeshFilter.java:129)
	at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.doFilter(SiteMeshFilter.java:77)
	at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:73)
	at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:49)
	at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:226)
	at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:234)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1630)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:567)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:602)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1610)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1377)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:507)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1580)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1292)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:234)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:501)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:556)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:273)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection$DecryptedEndPoint.onFillable(SslConnection.java:540)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection.onFillable(SslConnection.java:395)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection$2.succeeded(SslConnection.java:161)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$1.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:375)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Nightly builds still failing as of 2020-12-26. Rolling back to Openfire 4.5.4 fixed the issue with the inability to enter or modify group chat rooms.

has this been solved in 4.6.1?

It doesn’t for me :frowning:

4.6.2 has the same problem…

I have had no luck reproducing this problem yet. I have raised an issue for the problem at https://igniterealtime.atlassian.net/browse/OF-2202

It would be interesting to find something that’s common amongst all of you that have this issue.

Which OS are you using?
What database are you using?
Are you using AD/LDAP integration?
What plugins do you have running?

Does the problem also happen when you install a brand new Openfire (with new database), or only when you upgrade an older version to a newer version?

I’m in the same position as Guus. I’ve seen people using SQL Server, so I have:

• done a fresh Openfire 4.5.4 install backed by SQL Server (all in Docker)
  • created a MUC
  • launched Spark and logged in
  • joined the MUC and sent a message
  • quit Spark
  • upgraded to vLatest
  • launched Spark and done the same

I can’t reproduce the problems others are seeing.

The only thing I’ve found is that a MUC with this configuration generates an error on Spark:

This is true in 4.5.4 and 4.7.0, so likely an unrelated problem.

• Is SQL Server a red herring? Is everyone using that?
  • Does anyone else have broadcasting of everything disabled?
  • @account_name showed a screenshot with MUC room cleanup disabled. It might be unrelated, but has anyone else deviated from the defaults?
  • Is everyone using LDAP?
  • Do the rooms shown in Admin behave any differently from the ones that aren’t?

Is anyone with this issue able to share a fuller dump of an environment for diagnostic purposes?

@baz, @boxcarpress, @dburson - any info you’re able to share will help.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m using LDAP and I think that this is involved. I’m also using SQL Server.

I didn’t notice any difference in Admin (currently I’m running the old version so I cannot check it anymore).

thanks!

What error is that? Even if it’s unrelated, would you mind raising an issue for it in the Spark tracker?

I did clean install. (deleted openfire folder after that)
Clean install>Connect to SQL and all is fine with 4.6.2
For me this case is close.