powered by Jive Software

Cant run Openfire from Eclipse

Hello,

Being newbie to Openfire and Java, and wanting to start writing plugins, i have read the well-written document http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1020 (and by the way, thanks to the author), i have followed all the steps till i end up with the Run command, when i launch it, it doesnt throw errors on eclipse’s console, but it seems the server is starting many times and it trys till it gets out of memory

this is my console’s log when i Run:

Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:12 PM]
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:14 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:15 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:16 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:16 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:17 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:17 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:18 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:18 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:19 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:19 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:19 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:20 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:21 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:21 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:22 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:23 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:23 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:24 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:24 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:25 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:26 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:26 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:27 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:27 PM]
Admin console listening at http://127.0.0.1:9090
Openfire 3.6.4 [May 12, 2009 2:31:28 PM]
Logging Error: Unknown error writing event.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

For me it works fine and I don’t have really an idea how this can happen, but I would check the file permissions (you need read and write permissions) of your openfire project and especially the target folder with its subdirections.

How do you start Openfire, via the Run menu in Eclipse?

Maybe if the permissions are correct then start to debug with Eclipse.

I had a similar issue where Openfire appeared to start up multiple times. I had changed the config to start on port 8080 hoping to get a different angle to the problem and what I saw from the netstat comand was:

bash-3.2$ netstat -na | grep LISTEN
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:5357 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:8080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:8080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:8080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:8080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
<continues on for about 30 instances for port 8080>

This appeared to be creating the memory issue. I ended up deleting the project from within Eclipse and then checking it out from SVN and going through the setup again and it worked fine. I’m using the 1.6 flavor of the JDK. The only difference the second time around was the ant build didn’t fail - I had screwed up the -DopenfireHome=“target/openfire” and had the -DopenfireHome="$/target/openfire" in it the first time around which resulted in a build failure - this may or may not have contributed to the issue but something to confirm if you’re still having the problem.