Can''t start messenger on Linux Red Hat

Hi all; I’‘m trying to get Jive Messenger 2.0.1 working on my Linux Red Hat 8 system (I know it’‘s old but it’‘s what I have). I downloaded the jive_messenger_2_0_1.tar.gz binary edition. I’‘ve downloaded the JDK 1.5 RPM from Sun and installed it, and I can run “java -version”. I’‘ve installed MySQL 2.0.40 from RPM, and I’‘ve created a jivexmpp database and initialized it with the messenger_mysql.sql script. I’'ve downloaded the MySQL JODBC jar and I have that on my CLASSPATH.

I’'ve set MESSENGER_HOME, JAVA_HOME, etc. to the right values. When I try to start messenger, I get this error:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jivesoftware.messenger.XMPPBootContainer

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:52)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:35)

Using grep it seems like this method is in messenger.jar which is in my $MESSENGER_HOME/lib directory. So I’‘m mightily confused (I’‘ve been hacking C/C++/Perl/Python/PHP/shell/etc. for almost 20 years, but I’'m a total Java newbie).

The docs also confuse me: they seem to mention things like a messengerd init.d startup file which doesn’‘t exist. The startup.sh seems to hardcode my system as “darwin”, which it isn’‘t… although admittedly that doesn’'t seem to cause any problems from my reading of the script.

I hate to be so useless but I did search the forum for the class name above and other things and no one else seems to be having this problem :-/.

I usually use

java -jar startup.jar

inside the /lib directory, that works fine.

or you can search for a startupscript for linux someone addad to this forum a few weeks ago.

guido

Huh. That works. I wonder why setting CLASSPATH etc. didn’‘t work? I guess I don’'t understand Java very well :-/.

Anyway, I can work with this by changing directories in my startup script.

Thanks; now we’'ll see if I can configure the rest of the server myself.

The ServerStarter class had the lib directory hardcoded …/lib, so the startup.sh would only work if you ran it with MESSENGER_HOME/bin as your current directory.

I have made changes ServerStarter class and startup.sh so the lib directory will be determined correctly based off the value of MESSENGER_HOME