Chat history not saved

When the window is not intentionally closed by the user, for example when it is closed by a disconnect from the server, crash or any other non user prompted event, the chat history is not saved. So if a user doesn’'t open and close his chat window repeatedly while using Spark, and after 2 days of chat history he is disconnected for whatever reason, the chat history for those 2 days is lost.

Could the chat history be saved at either regular intervals or per line ? ie: each received line gets written to the history ?

I realize a lot of work is going to be put into “The Ultimate Chat History” with searching and possibly merging it into the auditing on the server end so a user could login to the server and view just their chat history and not need to enable it locally, but in the mean time such a fix would make the chat history more useable. Myself and some of the users I am testing this with have lost some things we were expecting to be there.

Thanks as usual,

RioGD

Hi riogd,

Spark 1.1.1 does save transcripts even if disconnected. Are you using 1.1.1? I know there was an issue in the 1.1.0 and before.

Cheers,

Derek

Hi Derek,

does it? It seems to do this after closing the chat window, not while it is open. I also experienced this problem after resuming my suspended PC with an open[/b] chat window. Now I close the windows before suspending, so I did not reproduce this problem.

LG

It still happens for me in 1.1.1 linux and win32 if the window is not closed by the user.

Cheers,

RioGD

This bug is really causing a lot of grief. Can the history be saved as new messages arrive or periodically ?

Basically at the moment the only sure way of having a complete history is by closing the window after each sent/received message. It would be nice to be able to leave the window/tab open and not have to worry about lost history.

Thanks for looking into this,

RioGD

Message was edited by: riogd

This issue is fixed in the 1.1.2 build. Due out March 9th.

-Derek

Thanks Derek,

I should spend five gum points to make some 4oo 4 u but I can’'t as this is not my thread.

LG

Thanks Derek and thanks LG for pointing out the award points feature in the forums, otherwise I would have just been happy it were fixed and not known I could award points for it. I shall be more observant in the future and tomorrow I will check other threads I started for the same thing.

Cheers,

RioGD

Hi Derek,

oh no, it was not fixed. I did lost once again my chat history. I resumed my PC, running Spark 1.1.2.6 and had the chat window open. The re-login did no good, all new messages in it got lost.

After this I did upgrade to 1.1.3, but there was no announcement that 1.1.3 got this fixed.

This bug s**ks, I really hate it.

LG

PS: It also happens with 1.1.3

Hi LG,

Chat history is now saved on close of the chat frame, or close of Spark (normally). If you just restart your computer, the chat history would not be saved. Is that not the case right now?

Cheers,

Derek

Hi Derek,

I suspend and resume it, that’'s far away from a reboot of the computer. Anyhow one could call this resume and suspend procedure “restart”.

After resume I still see the chat window open and Spark writes something like “Connection lost due to error” into it, sometimes this messages is written two times. Then the relogin popup message is displayed and when Spark restarts itself it does not save the content of the chat window.

LG

Hello Derek,

Is there anyway the history could be saved as it is occurring? The reason I ask, aside from loosing chat history for whatever reason (crash, resume, restart etc…) several users, including myself, have the habit of leaving the chat windows open and minimized. We then run into the problem that if we go to consult the chat history it doesn’'t contain any of the new messages. It would nice to be able to consult the chat history without closing the chat window. I realize storing history on receipt/send of messages may require some design changes (like the auto-login SPARK-14) but i think it is an important feature/ability.

I do like the improved chat history window now including the actual date of the messages, I had several instances where I had to try to guess the date based on things mentioned in the history. This is a very welcome improvement I forgot to even ask for ! The biggest thing left now, other than the saving of the history is the ability to search without selecting all, pasting into a text editor and searching (I believe that is thoroughly discussed in other threads so I won’'t go into detail here)

Anyway thanks for continuing to look into this !

Cheers,

RioGD

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/7664/clipboard37ji.png

So one can use the RMB to paste content in the chat window while typing is disabled, but that’'s not really an issue.

After clicking “Yes”:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1350/clipboard57db.png