powered by Jive Software

Chat room problems.... *Newb alert*

Ok im trying to make the chat room works, but there must be something I don`t quite understand.

Im still running this as a test server, so here is what I got:

9 User in one group.

and one server side created persistent chat room called SI

I use gaim as my client as I can also use AIM, MSN and ICQ.

In Gaim I see the SI group with offlines and online users

(they don`t refresh okay but thats another mather)

and the SI chat room (could it be a conflictual name problem?)

But I just can`t seam to figure out how to join the chat room.

I can right click and click “join this room” but nothing happen.

I tried to “New instant message” to SI@servername

and SI@conference.servername

Can someone point out what Im doing wrong?

Thanx and keep up the good work, this is an awesome software.

Message was edited by:

Patrick Ouellet

We all use Gaim 1.1.2 with Jive 2.1.1

Server on Linux client on Windows

In Gaim I see the SI group with offlines and online

users

(they don`t refresh okay but thats another mather)

It seems that you are running into the shared groups problem. We are now working on a fix for this problem so a fix will be available soon.

and the SI chat room (could it be a conflictual name

problem?)

But I just can`t seam to figure out how to join the

chat room.

I can right click and click “join this room” but

nothing happen.

I was not able to find in Gaim a window that shows the traffic between the client and the server. Could you try using another client (e.g. Exodus) and if the problem still persists then check the traffic (use F12 to collect the XML packets). Maybe Exodus will show the real problem that you are having (e.g. password protected, etc.)

I tried to “New instant message” to SI@servername

and SI@conference.servername

You won’'t be able to send messages to a room if you are not an occupant of the room.

Regards,

– Gato

Gaim… Yes it has problems with MUC(chat rooms). You cant rejoin same room after quiting, until you sign off and sign on again in Gaim (same problems with neos client).

I dont know if chat room name could bring a conflict, but there was some issue with CAPS in user name, but it was fixed already.

Could you describe with more details what are the properties of your room. Name, ID, etc. Because maybe you are trying to connect to room using its name, but you have to use its ID actually. Ex: room - name:chat, id:001

so you have chat room 001@conference.<server_name>

Yes it’'s confusing, and i had the same problems at first.

More… i dont actually understand your structure, you say one group with name SI and chat room with name SI? I think these names shouldnt conflict with each other. But then you say, that you see all group users in roster and this chat room too. This chat room added automaticly??? I want to hear how you’'ve managed to do so:) If not, if you are adding this room manually, so check if you are using ID not name in address.