Clean installation goes smoothly, users can't authenticate?

Server 2003 SBS SP2

So I just installed OpenFire for the first time. Using the docs, the installation went smoothly. I used the embedded database and tied authentication to LDAP. I can get to the Control Panel without a problem, so I configured a chat room and set up some admins; this worked, including the LDAP lookups.

I decided to install Spark on the server to test with an account (the same one I log into the Control Panel with), but the Spark client cannot connect. Windows Firewall is off (RRAS uses IPNAT.SYS, but not rules are configured - an external device provides security).

I’ve tried localhost, 127.0.0.1, and NAME (the servername), as well as NAME.domain.local (FQDN). Nothing will connect.

Am I missing something?

Oh, I get:

“Can’t connect to server: invalid name or server not reachable”

Remember, this is on the same machine the server is running on. And yes, the service is started and I can log into the Control Panel.

Update:

I just tried using “chat-support.mozilla.com” and received a bad username/password message. This tells me that credentials aren’t the issue, nor is network traffic.

The only thing I can guess is that I’m logged in as a different user (to Windows/the domain) than I am trying to authenticate as?

Looks like checking “Use OLD SSL port method” works like a charm!

Don’t know why, but I’m happy with this as it is.

Hi,

I wonder what you did specify as xmpp.domain during the Openfire setup, let’s assume you used “example.com”. So “nslookup example.com” must return the IP address of your Openfire server. And you need to enter it in Spark to connect without a problem. Using “Old SSL” is possible but likely not a good idea.

LG

I used domain.local, which is the domain name. The server OpenFire is hosted on is server.domain.local.

In what way is using Old SSL a bad idea? This is an internal configuration - there is no outside access to the chat. If I could, I’d remove all security from OpenFire, but it’s more hassle than it’s worth.