Clients not able to connect outside our LAN

This may not be an issue with Jive Messenger at all, but I figured this would be a good place to post my question!

Jive is working great so far on our LAN. The next step for me was to set things up so that people could connect over the internet, e.g. from home or on vacation. I thought this would be very simple - just forward ports 5222 and 5223 on one of our routers over to the server running Jive Messenger. Sadly that didn’'t do the trick What am I missing here?

Tried a couple of different client programs. Here’'s the debug info from Exodus:

Looking up SRV: xmpp-client.tcp.chat..com

Got A: xx.xxx.xx.xxx 5222

RECV:

It’'s resolving to the right IP address, but just hangs there until it gives up and gives me that “RECV:” response. Any suggestions?

Message was edited by:

joshcatlin

Make sure your forwarding (TCP)5222 \ 5223 and not UDP, I had the same problem initially, until i verified my router settings…I’'m using PSI, but just about any XMPP client should work…

Good Luck!!

B

Good tip and I jumped in to check it thinking maybe I had just selected UDP by mistake, but it was already set to forward correctly - 5222-5223 TCP (not UDP).

Seems very odd that this isn’'t working

Maybe a dumb question:

You allow packets out of your LAN on that ports? Just a wild guess, of course - but if you have a firewall that stops your jabber server from answering it might result in such a timeout as well…

Maybe a dumb question:

You allow packets out of your LAN on that ports?

Just a wild guess, of course - but if you have a

firewall that stops your jabber server from answering

it might result in such a timeout as well…

Not a dumb question at all and even though it wasn’‘t exactly my problem, it did make me retrace the flow of traffic again and sure enough clients were coming in through one router, but the server was sending out through a different router. That’'ll teach me not to set things up when I have a major cold Turns out this one really was as simple as I thought it should be all along!

If you post your make \ model of your firewall, i’‘ll see what i can dig up for you, and is there any other hardware between your firewall and server…example; manageable switch \ router…or proxy server. Another question is the client side, are you testing from the same location \ client PC? and could there be something there such as a software firewall…etc that might be obstructing… It’'s defineately a network issue. As mentioned by Benjamin, maybe just a ruleset needs to be added to allow outbound traffic on those ports. I know you said it works fine from the LAN, so typically my next step would be to create a RAS connection to the LAN from externally, and test through a tunnel…This way it can be concluded that the problem is a point to point issue over the WAN.

B

Ok so it’'s resolved…LOL…just as i was posting!

B

Thanks for trying though. It’‘s certainly appreciated. I’'m about to post yet another question so maybe bring that helpful enthusiasm over to that thread