Closing connection due to error while processing message

Recently openfire started to produce an error when receiving a packet from asmack ping manager

2014.06.15 05:37:49 org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler - Closing connection due to error while processing message:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:115)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:76)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processIQ(StanzaHandler.java:330)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processIQ(ClientStanzaHandler .java:93)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:295)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:187)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:181)

Any idea what is causing this error, is it related to the offline user issue in 3.9.3.

Its really annoying, more than 1782 error from one client.

asmack 4.0

openfire 3.9.3

It happens when you misconfigured openfire.

Sorry it’s my fault I changed “Disconnect clients after they have been idle for” value for testing and I forgot to set it back.

Really? What did you have it set to while the troubles were occurring?

360 seconds, now it’s 10 seconds, this didn’t solve the problem completly but it reduced this error to 1-6 in a day inested of more than 1782 in 1 hour.

To be more clear this what causing the problem (trying to reconnect immediately while the user is already authenticated with same resource and the ghost session is still exist):

W/XMPPConnection﹕ Connection closed with error

stream:error (conflict)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.PacketReader.parsePackets(PacketReader.java:214)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.PacketReader.access$000(PacketReader.java:47)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.PacketReader$1.run(PacketReader.java:81)

Implementing XEP-0198 Stream Management is really important to solve this problem since im using android smack.

Is OF-810 what I experienced?

Hi @Wael,

I am seeing similar errors on my production server logs where the connection is closed due to blank ‘result’ message.

org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler - Closing connection due to error while processing message:

Were you able to find the root cause for the error logs? Was it an android client or an OF 3.9.3 issue?

I am currently using OF 3.9.3 and Smack 4.1.8.

Thanks.