Complete newbie- few questions - please help

Dear forum members,

I am a completely newbie and became aware of jive messenger few days back only.

Actually I was looking for a private instant messaging system for our website and after reading so many posts here in the forum , I finally see a ray of hope.

As far as i have understood, Jive messenger is server side application and we can use either smack to build our own client application or otherwise use mirinda or gaim or gabber client application.

Now in light of these please clarify the following:

1. What are the exact server requirements to have jive messenger installed. This is because our current website is on a shared hosting plan and dedicated hosting or server is simply not feasible. SO is it possible to have jive messenger on shared hosting and what other server requirements are there?

2. Having installed say jive messenger on server and downloaded any client say gabber or mirinda, what else is exactly required so that instant messaging communication can actually take place.

3. Further when we have two persons talking by way of instant messaging, is it peer to peer meaning C2C or is it C2S2C. and how many clients simultaneously can it support.

4. what else exactly do i need to know presuming that my programming and technical knowledge is extremely limited but ready to learn anything if necessary to implement this excellent private instant messaging system for our website.

5. Also any reference to step by step instructions would be great.

I know for sure that as a novice I must have asked some stupid questions above but then I also sincerely believe that people in this forum are extremely halpful and guidance is very well here.

I am looking forward to all and any comments, suggestions, ideas, feedback, tips and whatever in as much detail as possible so that implementation is actually a fesibility.

Thank you very much in advance for your vlauble time and consideration,

With utmost regards,

Sunando.

(sunandoghosh@rediffmail.com)

As far as i have understood, Jive messenger is server

side application and we can use either smack to build

our own client application or otherwise use mirinda

or gaim or gabber client application.

Yep, that’'s correct. It will likely make the most sense to use an existing client.

Now in light of these please clarify the following:

1. What are the exact server requirements to have

jive messenger installed. This is because our current

website is on a shared hosting plan and dedicated

hosting or server is simply not feasible. SO is it

possible to have jive messenger on shared hosting and

what other server requirements are there?

Your host would have to let you install server-side Java applications. Is the IM service for your website visitors or for people in your office? If the latter, you could install Jive Messenger on a box in your office.

1. Having installed say jive messenger on server and

downloaded any client say gabber or mirinda, what

else is exactly required so that instant messaging

communication can actually take place.

Just tell the client the name of the server to connect to. That’'s about it.

1. Further when we have two persons talking by way of

instant messaging, is it peer to peer meaning C2C or

is it C2S2C. and how many clients simultaneously can

it support.

It’'s C2S2C. You should be able to have several thousand people on at once depending on your server.

1. what else exactly do i need to know presuming that

my programming and technical knowledge is extremely

limited but ready to learn anything if necessary to

implement this excellent private instant messaging

system for our website.

Since you don’‘t have a dedicated box for your site, that’'s probably the biggest hurdle. You may want to send your host the Jive Messenger install guide and ask them about it.

1. Also any reference to step by step instructions

would be great.

Let us know if you have questions after reading through the documentation.

I know for sure that as a novice I must have asked

some stupid questions above but then I also sincerely

believe that people in this forum are extremely

halpful and guidance is very well here.

We hope you can get it up and running!

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks a lot for your prompt and fairly detailed reply,

“Your host would have to let you install server-side Java applications. Is the IM service for your website visitors or for people in your office? If the latter, you could install Jive Messenger on a box in your office.”

Our current website is hosted on resellerguru.com which does not allow installation of server side java applications.

I also went through some other hosting websites which do provide java installation on server side but it appears very confusing.

To be more specific as far as i have understood we need to have java server application platform edition 8 installed on server to have jive messenger. I asked with one of the many web hosting companies which do provide java hosting and their sales department replead as follows:

“Our Standard Plus plan and higher supports Java 1.5. I am nor familiar with the application you are referring to. Please provide a link so we can determine if it can be supported.”

rlingsch@eapps.com

So please say me what should be the exact thing which I must be looking for while selecting a web hosting company for having jive messenger installed so that it meets requirements and is not very expensive either.

and yes the website is for visitors

thanks once again for taking out your time and replying

sunando

To be more specific as far as i have understood we

need to have java server application platform

edition 8 installed on server to have jive messenger.

Actually, you just need JDK 1.5.

I asked with one of the many web hosting companies

which do provide java hosting and their sales

department replead as follows:

"Our Standard Plus plan and higher supports Java 1.5.

I am nor familiar with the application you are

e referring to. Please provide a link so we can

determine if it can be supported."

rlingsch@eapps.com

What did they say when you sent a link?

So please say me what should be the exact thing which

I must be looking for while selecting a web hosting

company for having jive messenger installed so that

it meets requirements and is not very expensive

either.

It’'s really up to the hosting provider to see if they are willing to support Jive Messenger. The only thing technically required is JDK 1.5.

Regards,

Matt

Respected Matt,

“What did they say when you sent a link?”

They replied as

"The application requested should work on our service.

Please note that this is something we do not specifically support and you would be responsible for installation, configuration, and support of the application.

Thank you,"

So I hope it works out.

Also Matt I was wondering if it was possible to integrate our existing phpbb forum into jive messenger instant messenger and if it is possible is there any documentation or guidance or help is available and if yes where exactly.

This would enable our existing forum members not to register for messenger again. They would be able to use forum login and password.

Also which chat service is compatible with jive messenger so that we can also possibly set up a chat room on our website.

I know I am asking a lot of questions but I also hope you would be patient and kind enough in your replies.

Thanks a lot for taking your valuable time always in replying.

It means a lot and is appreciated.

With utmost regards to you,

sunando