Connection to outside Jabber users

I’ve installed Openfire 3.4.5 w/ Active Directory support. AD users automatically have accounts on Openfire server. Have installed Gateway.jar and have working registrations to Yahoo & AOL.

Problem is I’m trying to outside (of our network) jabber client users. (such as <user>@jabber.org, <user>@jabber.com, etc.). Have XMPP transport set to jabber.org and port 5222. When test I get success.

However, when I try to register I get message that password I registered with is incorrect. I do have an account with jabber.org that I can successfully login to. It doesn’t seem to matter whether I use in the registration “JID” field the account username or the Jabber ID when I do the registration. I’ve even tried the Jabber ID with and without the "@jabber.org". All to no avail.

Am I missing something, or is something broke. The goal is to IM with non-network users who have Jabber accounts around the country. I can do that with those non-network users who have AOL and Yahoo IM accounts around the country.

BTW, I use the Exodus 10.0 client.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

The XMPP gateway is still in beta. It does not work for all external XMPP servers. There is support ticket filed for this issue.

chenegar wrote:

The goal is to IM with non-network users who have Jabber accounts around the country.

Chuck, you should also be able to accomplish this with server-to-server communication as explained in Server To Server HowTo’s.

• Rob