powered by Jive Software

Connection with people on other server

Hi,

my basic Openfire setup seems to work. Next I wanted to try the communication of people on different servers.However, this does not seem to work. Can someone tell me what I did wrong, what to try next etc.?

I am logged in on my Openfire Server (using the Spark client). I have another client ( SamePlace, Firefox) where I am logged in using my jabber.org account.

Next I try to add the JID on my Openfire server to the contacts of my jabber.org account. This does not seem to work: I do not get as popup if I want to allow this , and I do not even get a message that some problem occured - simply nothing.

On the Openfire server, server-to-server communication is turned on and allowed for anybody. The ports are not firewalled, I can connect to 5222 and 5269 using telnet.

I have set the domain of the jabber server to that of our internet domain (domain.com, not host.domain.com), therefore the JID is user@domain.com (I tried user@host.domain.com too, just to be sure).

I have added the IN SRV entries (_jabber, _xmpp-server, _xmpp-client) to our nameserver. Querying the nameserver entries works fine:

dig @mynameserver jabber.tcp.domain.com any +short

Thanks,

Michael

Have you configured your server to server settings on the openfire server. Those ports need opened as well.

Ok I am blind I just saw the sentence addressing this.

Hi Michael,

I assume that you did read Server To Server HowTo’s already, so you may want to post the log files which show where the s2s connection fails.

LG

I get two messages.

Warn log:

2007.11.06 08:43:57 Closing session due to incorrect hostname in stream header. Host: jabber.mydomain.com. Connection: org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketConnection@167e8f2 socket: Socket[http://addr=/208.245.212.98,port=50183,localport=5269|http://addr=/208.245.212.9 8,port=50183,localport=5269] session: null

debug log:

2007.11.06 08:43:57 Connect Socket[http://addr=/208.245.212.98,port=50183,localport=5269|http://addr=/208.245.212.9 8,port=50183,localport=5269]

2007.11.06 08:43:57 Connection closed before session established Socket[http://addr=/208.245.212.98,port=50183,localport=5269|http://addr=/208.245.212.9 8,port=50183,localport=5269]

I just upgraded to3.4.1 - just to be sure that this is not the problem.

Ok, I took a step back - seems there is more than one problem (not only s2s, but more probs with jabber.org accounts).

So I set up a second server (server2.mydomain.com). I logged in with a user on that server and tried to add a test1@mydomain.com to the roster. The user is then shown as “pending” in the roster.

I am logged in as test1@mydomain.com with another client. As soon as this user is added to the other user’s roster, I get a popup which asks me if I want to allow this and if I want to add the other user to my roster. However, for the user on the second server, the status of the roster entry for the added user is still “pending”, and there is no popup asking if I want to allow being added by the other user.

On my primary server, I get the following error message:

2007.11.08 15:43:33 Creating a DirContext in LdapManager.getContext()…

2007.11.08 15:43:33 Created hashtable with context values, attempting to create context…

2007.11.08 15:43:33 … context created successfully, returning.

2007.11.08 15:43:33 Creating a DirContext in LdapManager.getContext()…

2007.11.08 15:43:33 Created hashtable with context values, attempting to create context…

2007.11.08 15:43:33 … context created successfully, returning.

2007.11.08 15:43:33 Failed to route packet to JID: test@server2.mydomain.com packet:

<presence id=“He8iy-232” to="test@server2.mydomain.com" type=“subscribe” from="test1@mydomain.com/spark"/>

2007.11.08 15:43:33 Failed to route packet to JID: test@server2.mydomain.com packet:

<presence id=“He8iy-233” to="test@server2.mydomain.com" type=“subscribed” from="test1@mydomain.com/spark"/>

2007.11.08 15:43:33 Failed to route packet to JID: test@server2.mydomain.com packet:

<presence id=“He8iy-156” from="test1@mydomain.com/spark" to="test@server2.mydomain.com">

<status>Available</status>

<priority>1</priority>

</presence>

I then changed the domain on my primary from mydomain.com to server1.mydomain.com - I did not use our domain name, but the actual name of the server.

Now every thing works fine: as soon as I allow being added to the roster, the other user also gets a popup asking to confirm this, and thn the status changes from pending to the actual status of the user.

So it seems I have a problem with using our domain instead of the real host name. However, I would have expected the other server to show me a warning, not the one with the problem/changed domain.

As stated obove, I think I configured the IN SRV entries correctly. dig returns the hostname of my jabber server when I ask for jabber.tcp.mydomain.com

$ dig @nameserver jabber.tcp.mydomain.com any +short

0 0 5269 jabber.mydomain.com.

$ dig @nameserver xmpp-server.tcp.mydomain.com any +short

0 0 5269 jabber.mydomain.com.

$ dig @nameserver xmpp-client.tcp.mydomain.com any +short

0 0 5222 jabber.mydomain.com.

Thanks!

See http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/161723 for an explanation of this issue.