Connections drop for no reason

I’m I still have wide spread frequent issues… the server just randomly drops all the spark client connects with the reason only being that there was an error… not much in the logs, some seriously wrong is going on here.

I’ve rebuilt the server 3 times now and this is really ruining my day!!

anyone got any ideas? anything they can do to help?

all I see in the error log is the following:

2008.11.25 14:40:43 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHand ler.java:110)]
java.lang.AbstractMethodError
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.event.SessionEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(SessionEve ntDispatcher.java:79)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQBindHandler.handleIQ(IQBindHandler.java:148 )
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:49)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:351)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:101)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:68)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processIQ(StanzaHandler.java:319)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processIQ(ClientStanzaHandler .java:79)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:284)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:176)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:133)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:570)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)
at org.apache.mina.common.IoFilterAdapter.messageReceived(IoFilterAdapter.java:80)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:58)
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:185)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :239)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:283)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I’m going to turn on debugging and see if I can dig out a little more.

It might help to know which version of Openfire you where using.

*SMC

Do you have set system property xmpp.server.validation.enabled set to true?

No, should I?

(and thanks for all your help so far… this is killing me!)

*SMC

No, should I?
No, it should be set to false (default)

Hi,

looking at the stack trace it seems that it occurs in code which was added 6 months ago by Daniel. See

http://www.igniterealtime.org/fisheye/browse/svn-org/openfire/tags/openfire_3_6_ 2/src/java/org/jivesoftware/openfire/event/SessionEventDispatcher.java and take a lok at the the changes made in 9883. One can read there “[JM-1221] Added listener for when resources are bound from Guus and updated plugins/components that were using it. (namely, sip, gateway, motd, and enterprise)”.

I wonder what is happening here, the code looks quite simple: “listener.resourceBound(session);” - openfire/event/SessionEventDispatcher.java line 79

I have no idea if its possible to comment this line and still build an Openfire version which runs, but one could try this.

LG

OK, so I do have the verify setting at its default, which should be false…

as for the code change… I don’t know, I was hoping to not have to monkey around with that… cause… I’m not too good at it!

Is there a work around? maybe a plugin I can disable? other random setting I can change…

I even tried pushing all my connections off to a connection manager, actuallt load balanced between 2 of them…

and that still didn’t help.

could any of this be from running in a VM? Should I be trying it on physical hardware maybe? Could this be a network issue too?

from the looks of the forums, plenty of people run openfire with A LOT more than 300 users which would basically be my max… is that the case? is there something I’m maybe doing wrong here?! hahaha

*SMC