Constant memory issues with OpenFire Enterprise 3.3.2, IM Gateway Betas

I’‘ve been having a heck of a time with memory leaks in OpenFire Enterprise 3.3.2 and the betas of Jadestorm’‘s gateways. However, neither of us can narrow down where the problem is occurring. He can’'t duplicate it, and I have no diagnostic information I can give him (aside from stray lines in the various logs) to help him locate the problem.

Is there anything I can do to get some useful information about where these leaks are occurring? I have Sun’‘s JRE (and JDK) 1.5 running on FreeBSD 6.1. It also appears that I can’‘t use jmap (that was one of the first things Jadestorm suggested), as it’‘s missing some library that I’'m assuming has yet to be ported to work on FreeBSD. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to restart my server every 1-2 days to clear the memory. I currently have 256MB allocated to the JVM (the maximum value) and it just slowly creeps up over the course of 48 hours until it overflows.

MysticOne

Hey MysticOne,

Try adding the -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError parameter to the start up script. Java will create a heap dump when the VM runs out of memory. The dump will be saved in a file in your working directory (usually the bin folder). A nice blog post about heap dumps can be found here. Once you got the heap dump you can use jhat to load it and analyze it.

Regards,

– Gato

Thanks, Gato. I’'ll give that a shot next time I restart it and hopefully I can figure out what in the world is going on. Much appreciated!

MysticOne