Constant Spark disconnects - "your connection was closed due to an error"

make sure your xmpp domain is a fqdn, not an ip address or a short host name. For example, someserver.yourdomain.com

and, you cannot change this once openfire is setup. if you do, you must re-do the first time setup.

All good points. I did learn the hard way early on you need to declare the proper and final fqdn at setup, and I am pointing DNS (A record) at im.company.com. Internally, I’ve configured DNS to point clients at im.company.com via NAT. I’m wondering if that internal name resolution is confusing a client or clients or something.

hmm, it could be. for internal dns, i usually have it set A record im.company.com points to 192.168.1.50 or whatever ip schema you have. so no NAT’ing within my internal network. I know NAT sometimes messes with things, gamers, for example, get problems a lot when behind a poor NAT, including DC’ed.

I misspoke. By NAT I really meant internal private network. I don’t need to NAT internal>internal.

lol, you never know… some people have weird networks!

I’d intended to update this thread previously.

My problem was Openfire 3.9.1 and Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, for whatever reason. I tried a fresh instance on a new, sterile build of WinServer2012 - same issue. Moved to a new Debian instance, problem gone.