Content filtering module for Openfire - Help needed

I have some issues with the content filtering module for Openfire, I’d really appreciate some help…

I plan to use Openfire in an for a Local Education Authority and I’m evaluating the feature set. Being that pupils are going to use this system the need for a content filter is paramount.

This is a the sample patter I have used - (?i)“test”\b

I have also used word, word, patterns to test.

Second issue, is there an available content pattern list that I can cut and paste in? The thought of having to create a pattern for every ‘‘naughty’’ word I know fills me with dread… I know quite a few

Cheers,

Craig

Bump!

Hi Craig,

what is this 1st issue? I didn’t get it.

There is as far as I know no public word list. I did recommend to create one in http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/34489 but so far it seems that everyone has the duty to create a very own one.

Anyhow everone will sooner or later knows which words are blocked, and when “fox”, “FOX”, “f0X”, fail one will use “FFOOXX” or “FO OO OX” just to pass the filter. It may be much smarter to block right math. results or homework content but this will likely be impossible.

LG

Thanks LG,

The first issue was that the content filter just didn’t filter… But its been resolved now.

I have a list of words now that should be banned, but I still haven’t added the correct slashes. Offending words would have to be blocked, it is a system to be used with schools.

I need to create a script to add in the correct slashes to these words, I have no problem passing on the list if someone wants to add the correct syntax ( If you could pass it back I’d be ever so grateful ;-).

Cheers,

Craig Jones

Hi Craig,

I hope that you want to create only about three patterns. You should use “|” much more often than “”.

A pattern should look like “(?i)(foo|bar|sample|test)\b”.

LG

update: created http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1664 for everyone who wants to share a filter

OK, I think I have it.

“(?i)(can|seperate|different|words|go|here)\b” are those works held by the same content rules?

I’ll create my list tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Craig

A pattern should look like “(?i)(foo|bar|sample|test)\b”.
Actually this is better:

“(?i)\b(foo|bar|sample|test)\b”

Without the first \b, server will reject “bar” and “crowbar” (though it won’t reject “barometer”). You probably only want it to reject “bar”, and neither “crowbar” or “barometer”. So the second example regex I posted will ensure it only rejects that word on it’s own and not when part of another larger word.