Controlling who can chat with who in a group

I would like to allow members of a group ex. Customer Service to only chat with Group Supervisors but not within their own group members (Customer Service). How do I set this up in Openfire?

Try Packet Filter plugin for Openfire.

Wroot, I did as you suggested and followed the readme. I used the following settings:

Action: Reject

Disable: blank

Packet Type: Message

To:

Log: Blank

Description: n/a

This disallowed me to communicate with the group but when I tried to go back in to disable the rule, I was unable to go and edit the rule. This left me out completly. Next, I deleted and re-installed myself but I am unable to communicate with my group.

We are on Openfire 3.7.0.

Version of Packet Filter is 3.0.1

I have just tried on Openfire 3.7.1 (should be the same with 3.7.0 i think) with Packet Filter 3.0.1 and i was able to edit such rule. Anything in the Openfire logs? What exactly happens when you press Edit button? Can you delete the rule?

Thank you. I see a possibility with this solution but I am not sure that this is the right option. can you tell me it this would work?

Rule1:

Action: Pass

To:

Log:

Description: Allow members of Supervisors to communicate with members of CustomerService.

Rule1:

Action: Reject

To:

Log:

Description: DO NOT allow members of CustomerService to speak to each other.

Data indicates that I can setup a message should an attempt be made to communicate be rejected. Where do I do this? Don’t have an option.

This should work. You can even make an exception for some of the CustomerService group members to let them talk to each other. You will need to create a pass rule for them and place it before the drop/reject rule. Reject message can be setup via system properties in Admin Console. Read this document (Actions part, pf.rejectMessage etc.) http://community.igniterealtime.org/docs/DOC-2185 You should know that not every client supports reject messages. Spark won’t show any message to the sender. I know that Exodus (old windows client) shows that message when its message is being rejected. So in case of Spark you can just use Drop.