powered by Jive Software

Corporate Support

We are about to roll out openfire/spark in our corporate environment. Consisting of 150 users spread all over the country/Canada. I have a few quesitons:

1. I have seen universities that are using Openfire/Spark. Are there any known issues for a large number of concurrent users? Anything we should be aware of?

2.) We attempted to roll out voice support. However - it didn’t always easily connect. Most of the one end would get “Closed by Remote” and that would be the end of it - we couldnt’ reconnect until much later on in the day. Any ideas?

3.)What is the liklihood if any of there being support for Video Chat?

Hey Nathan,

1. I have seen universities that are using Openfire/Spark. Are there any known issues for a large number of concurrent users? Anything we should be aware of?

For 150 concurrent users you should not need to do any fine tuning of the server. At most you might need to increase the max heap size to a bigger value (e.g. 256MB).

2.) We attempted to roll out voice support. However - it didn’t always easily connect. Most of the one end would get “Closed by Remote” and that would be the end of it - we couldnt’ reconnect until much later on in the day. Any ideas?

I will let Thiago jump into this one.

3.)What is the liklihood if any of there being support for Video Chat?

As you may know we are working in the next generation of the Spark client that is going to be based on Flex (Flash) instead of Java. For the new SparkWeb client we are planning to add audio and video support. There is no easy way to implement that in the Java version of the client.

Regards,

– Gato

We attempted to roll out voice support. However - it didn’t always

easily connect. Most of the one end would get “Closed by Remote” and

hat would be the end of it - we couldnt’ reconnect until much later on

in the day. Any ideas?Which kind of voice are you using? Jingle or SIP Phone?

Can you tell me if your Openfire server is direct connected to internet? Is the media proxy enabled? Are the Media Proxy ports opened in your network firewall?

Best Regards,

Thiago

We have ~150 logged in users every day on linux box (cmd only) with Celeron 2.6 GHz and 256MB RAM. Works fine.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to this - but we are only allowing our users to connect to Openfire via their VPN connection. Stardard operation for us. Our users connect to Exchange and other resources through the VPN Split-Tunnel. Also, I have enabled the Media Proxy.

Thanks again!