powered by Jive Software

Countless java exceptions caught

I have been getting thousands of java exception caught errors in my /opt/openfire/logs/error.log files.

After 7 to 10 days it has crippled the system and the java process is using 98% of the CPU.

I have attached all the info I have, but I’m not familiar enough with JAVA error messages to know where to look.

My java memory shows 90% utilized on the Admin console. I have set it use 1024m at the next boot but currently it is set to 512m MAX.

Centos 5.0 64 Bit without any updates. Running as a Xen VM.

Kernel is 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5.xs5.5.0.51xen #1 SMP Fri May 29 07:20:04 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I recently upgraded from Openfire 3.6.1 to 3.6.4 but don’t recall any major problems with 3.6.1 although there could have been and it just wasn’t enough to crash the server. I believe the old version was 3.5.2 and previous to that we ran Wildfire.

My users are getting disconnected(pidgin,adium) or timed-out/paused(spark) multiple times per day.
openfire_error_and_info_logs.txt.zip (2369 Bytes)

Some expert in Java should know what causes this right off the top of their head.

Otherwise hopefully an expert from Jive or Ignite Realtime will read this and help me out. It is causing alot of problems for my users.

Hi,

Could you try setting the system property ‘xmpp.client.idle’ to -1 ? There are some issues with idle time accounting with openfire and that setting worked for me.

daryl

Where should I set that ? And will a restart of openfire be required. If so, I will have to do it tonight after-hours.

If I can change it using the admin console and have it take effect immediately then that would be great.

Go to Server Manager -> System Properties

At the bottom add a new Proptery Name: xmpp.client.idle

and in the Property Value: box type:

-1

… and save the property. It should show up in your property list. I restarted my server to be sure it took - couldn’t wait till it actually timed out my client (thus I’m not sure if it takes affect at change/add or if a restart is required).

The setting is applied for new client connections.

daryl

I will be rebooting the server tonight. I have upgraded the java memory from 512m max to 1024m max in /etc/sysconfig/openfire/ as shown :

OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xms256m"

OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xmx1024m"

I have also added the parameter ‘xmpp.client.idle’ via the admin console and set it to “-1”

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS BEFORE THE REBOOT ?

Current server stats look bad. This morning java memory was in the low 80s percentage.

Server Uptime:
2 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes – started Sep 28, 2009 10:06:44 PM
Version:
Openfire 3.6.4
Server Directory:
/opt/openfire
Server Name:
jabbsrv.companyX.nonreg

Java Version:
1.6.0_03 Sun Microsystems Inc. – Java HotSpot™ Server VM
Appserver:
jetty-6.1.x
Host Name:
jabbsrv.companyX.nonreg
OS / Hardware:
Linux / i386
Locale / Timezone:
en / Central Standard Time (-6 GMT)

Java Memory 498.62 MB of 506.31 MB (98.5%) used

The server is in better shape now at 5.5 days since the reboot. the JAVA mmemory number is not going up at an alarming rate anymore.

Server Properties
Server Uptime:
5 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes – started Oct 1, 2009 10:50:08 PM
Version:
Openfire 3.6.4
Server Directory:
/opt/openfire
Server Name:
iijabber.interact.nonreg
Environment
Java Version:
1.6.0_03 Sun Microsystems Inc. – Java HotSpot™ Server VM
Appserver:
jetty-6.1.x
Host Name:
iijabber.interact.nonreg
OS / Hardware:
Linux / i386
Locale / Timezone:
en / Central Standard Time (-6 GMT)
Java Memory

293.34 MB of 1012.62 MB (29.0%) used

Sorry about the split post but the posting process failed and I lost everything I had typed.

I am still getting exception errors like these : (I omitted the 33 lines or so of extra info (plugins/modules I think))

2009.10.07 11:00:43 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHand ler.java:110)]
2009.10.07 11:06:21 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHand ler.java:110)]
2009.10.07 11:17:46 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHand ler.java:110)]
2009.10.07 11:42:24 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHand ler.java:110)]

So far I have gotten 37 of them today.

I have decided to unblock the build server login to see if my old problems come back.

If I could solve these exception errors I think my MAJOR problems would be fixed.